How to watch Shinkansen trains at high speed ? FROM OUTSIDE!

Nozomi

Well my Japan trip is just 2 weeks away and I would like to get your opinions about my plan to see shinkansen trains passing by at high speed. This is about Tokaido Shinkansen (Tokyo to Shin-Osaka). My base will be Tokyo.

I think it's best to go to a Station where only the slowest trains (Kodama) stop, get out to the platform and just stay there till a few faster trains (Hikari, Nozomi) have passed (do photos, vids or just be amazed). Of course I will need a ticket back to Tokyo so I also will have access to the platform in the opposite direction. I'm ready to spend half a day on the platforms...

What do you think?

- is reasoning correct, I mean, will it deliver what I want

- which of the minor stations (Kodama service only) will be best suited for my purpose?

Thanks a lot for any help!

You're correct in singling out the Kodama only (add Hikari in some cases) stations.  Depends on your budget and time considerations, but Odawara is probably decent, plus its relatively close to your Tokyo base.  And you can return via Odakyu if the fancy strikes you.  Further out, Mishima has received some mention- the layout has the express (through) tracks on the outside edges- may be good for pix at the platform ends.  But if you're willing to spend the money, the absolute best is Hamamatsu Station in Shizuoka Prefecture- it's on a sweeping curve, and the Nozomi's tear through like greased lightning.  People, not just fans, gather just to see the (soon to be gone) 500 series highballin' it.

When I was in Tokyo you couldn't access the platforms without a ticket is that like that in every Shinkansen station?

Yes, either you have a ticket to ride, or buy a 140 yen platform ticket.  Be careful with that though, it's only good for two hours.

When I was in Tokyo you couldn't access the platforms without a ticket is that like that in every Shinkansen station?

Isn't it like that in most Japanese train stations?

Isn't it like that in most Japanese train stations?

Yes, at least in JR stations.  Platform tickets are of course mainly intended for people seeing off someone and especially useful for those guiding unaccompanied children or grandma to their seats on the tokkyu or shinkansen.  Platform ticket collecting is a whole sub category, I believe. Certainly makes for a nice keepsake for places you visited, as the station name is printed on the ticket.

Yes, either you have a ticket to ride, or buy a 140 yen platform ticket.  Be careful with that though, it's only good for two hours.

Ah! The famous platform ticket! ^^ I read about them two days ago, in a Murakami. If only I had known about them last year. That's typically a thing that you ought to know when going to Japan.

@bill:  I was only in Tokyo so I didn't had to ride JR, only subway. In fact most of the time I was riding a bike (even when it was raining and/or snowing... hopefully the weather was good most of the time).

You're correct in singling out the Kodama only (add Hikari in some cases) stations.  Depends on your budget and time considerations, but Odawara is probably decent, plus its relatively close to your Tokyo base.  And you can return via Odakyu if the fancy strikes you.  Further out, Mishima has received some mention- the layout has the express (through) tracks on the outside edges- may be good for pix at the platform ends.  But if you're willing to spend the money, the absolute best is Hamamatsu Station in Shizuoka Prefecture- it's on a sweeping curve, and the Nozomi's tear through like greased lightning.  People, not just fans, gather just to see the (soon to be gone) 500 series highballin' it.

Hamamatsu is a great train watching station, spent a few nights in town in 2006. Nearer Tokyo the next station after Mishima, Shin-Fuji, if I recall correctly has outside platforms. Back in 1990 I took some video of express trains (including 0 series :grin) passing through Shin-Yokohama but today all trains stop there.

Take Shinkansen to Atami station and enjoy Nozomi and Hikari going high speed pass the station.

I was up in the Shinkansen platform for an hour to take video and to wait for my Superview Ordoriko using Japan Rail Pass.

Take Shinkansen to Atami station and enjoy Nozomi and Hikari going high speed pass the station.

I was up in the Shinkansen platform for an hour to take video and to wait for my Superview Ordoriko using Japan Rail Pass.

Atami is also a spot with potential for dramatic shots.  However, as trains emerge from a tunnel, the window of opportunity is limited, and lighting conditions will vary depending on the time of day.

I've spent entire days shooting with a platform pass and have never had a problem, including both Shinkansen and any slower services in both Kyoto and Tokyo.

I've spent entire days shooting with a platform pass and have never had a problem, including both Shinkansen and any slower services in both Kyoto and Tokyo.

I assume it was two hours, it says so on the ticket, though I never tested it as I rarely spend more than 90 minutes at a single location.  I suppose you can always hand it in to a ticket inspector.  Pasmo and Suica cards (note- cannot use as platform passes), however, do have a two hour limit, and the automated gates will block you- you'll have to get station staff to reset your card should your journey extend longer than that limit.

It's a bit far away from Tokyo, but if you can get out into the countryside you might be able to get some shots from further away. In 1997 a friend and I caught the Omi Railway from Maibara to Amako where it runs alongside the Tokaido Shinkansen then walked out into the rice fields and spent an hour watching trains. I noticed the Omi tracks beside the Shinkansen on a previous trip and thought it might be a good place to watch Shinkansen.

post-218-13569923852617_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569923852947_thumb.jpg

I was at the JR Railway Museum a few months ago, which is located just north of Omiya station. There is a viewing platform there right beside the elevated Shinkansen track on the top floor of the building, albeit the trains don't generally travel at their top speed there. But that's the closest I've been to a Shinkansen at speed.

Otherwise, if you have a rail pass, take a local Shinkansen train to a station where the express trains don't stop. Usually in the rural areas, the trains will pass the stations without slowing down. I've seen this happen a few times on the Niigata (Joetsu) Shinkansen, and on the Shinkansen track going north (Tohoku).

I assume it was two hours, it says so on the ticket, though I never tested it as I rarely spend more than 90 minutes at a single location.  I suppose you can always hand it in to a ticket inspector.  Pasmo and Suica cards (note- cannot use as platform passes), however, do have a two hour limit, and the automated gates will block you- you'll have to get station staff to reset your card should your journey extend longer than that limit.

Nope, not at all. I spent 7 hours in Kyoto shooting with no issue, and about 4 hours at Tokyo, and 4 hours at Omiya shooting with a plat-pass only with no issues or problems whatsoever. I did make the mistake of once trying to use my Suica instead of a platform pass, but I had no issue exiting the station.

So any update from your Atami experience?

Not yet, I still have another 10 days in Japan. I might add that I'm based in Tokyo (no hotel changes or anything like that. I've seen most of Japan in earlier trips, this time is just for the hobby). I use a 14 day japan rail pass (green..... I'm too fat for ordinary). So far I've made 2196 km  with JR (shinkansen track only) using 300, 700, 700-3000, 700-7000 (Hikari Rail Star) and the fab N700.

I will try my best to use the 500 series (now doing sort of degrading kodama services) before the finally are getting retired. Altough the 500 series looks cool to almost everybodys eyes it seems that JR is not happy with the economics of the train.

Next Wednesday a friend of mine will come over to Japan. He bought a JR east rail pass so we will do the Shinkansen lines north of Tokyo together. Have lunch in Nagano one day, have lunch in Niigata the other and why not try the local noodle soup in Hanhinohe....

My itinary sounds quite relaxed but it's not. You should not forget the hours I spend every day to hunt down the hobby stores. I can spend hours in just one of those shops..... But it's worth it prices are good, selection is mindboggling.....