How do I reinstall the plastic windows in a Series 701-0 Akita Colors EMU? (FIXED)

bc6

I took the unit apart like most of us do and upon reassembly I cant get the plastic windows to stay put.

I looked at the direction of the windows they have an arrow on them to match with the arrow inside the cab and they still fall out. 

I also made sure that the correct windows were being installed on the correct sides, Do I need to glue them in I don't think I need to?

Edited by bc6
Resolution to problem found.
disturbman

It happens that window parts do not hold. In that case, just glue them using a dab of white/carpenter/PVA glue. It's not a strong bond and the piece can always be removed. The glue is water soluble.

Also, did you check there wasn't any small tabs on the roof or sides you might not be clicking in?

Edited by disturbman

Part of the issue on some of these windows is that they little tabs that hold them in place are very loose and the windows are right where you usually grab the shell to reassemble so the tiniest touch on the window from the outside pops them loose. I’ve found using a folded cloth on the work surface to cradle shell and then slide the carriage into the shell without touching the shell sides (usually try holding onto the bottom corners of the shell so as not to flex the sides) usually does the trick.

a couple of times I was not as patient and did as disturbman mentioned and tacked the windows in place with some glue. I generally use the cockpit canopy/glazing cement that is particularly designed for clear styrene glazing. It’s sort of a cross between PVA and rubber cement it seems as joint is a bit soft and can be popped loose easily. But PVA works fine as well, just doesn’t flex as much as the canopy glue does.

Warning don’t use ca glue, it will haze the clear styrene (sometimes it won’t show up for days or weeks later)! You may already know this, but just case not.

jeff

• Like 1

Also some side window pieces need end pieces wg door glass or cab light unit, to hold them upright and in place.

• Like 1

Yes, typical Kato design. As others have mentioned, make sure the window parts are properly seated near the roof. Some models these fit quite loosely.

There are usual some tabs or recesses that the clear part needs to sit in above the windows of the body. 

Depending on the model, If the roof section is another removable part (don’t have a 701 to confirm) this can be removed and will aid in making sure windows are seated correctly in the body. 

Keep everything in place with body on its roof and use one hand to hold the clear plastic tabs on the lower part of window piece to keep them in place, while using other hand to lower chassis into position. 

Thanks to everyone that responded, I got really frustrated that I couldn't get the windows in that I took out my magnifier and saw something pretty interesting. 

It looks like that there are some prongs that keep the windows in and I bent them trying to reinstall the windows improperly. 

I think they are made out of metal so I straightened them out so I could fit the window back in again and surprisingly I can move the body around and the windows don't move. I'm going to use some pva glue so the window wont pop out because of handling the car. 

Attach are some reference pics for anyone that experiences this problem

My project-1.png

20230506_202705.jpg

• bc6 changed the title to How do I reinstall the plastic windows in a Series 701-0 Akita Colors EMU? (FIXED)

Usually once the windows are in place and carriage is installed window can’t pop out. It’s just the bit of getting the carriage in there and in place where the windows can pop put on you before the carriage is fully in place to finish locking the windows in place. There are a whole bunch of different clip designs that hold windows into the shells and some like your can easily be bent. The little clips have always been plastic in my experience. They can bend some on some designs but be gentle.

jeff

disturbman

It's plastic, you can see it by the whitening of the material where it bent. You were lucky not to break it.

• Like 1

I find the little prongs hold the windows until I try and touch anything on the unit (to put it back together) and then immediately the windows fall out again.  I've not tried the PVA bit.  Maybe I should.

It can't hurt to try pva, Once the windows are back in you need to put pressure against the windows with the prongs that's how my windows stayed in. Then I put a little bit ov pva on the windows.

Edited by bc6
2 hours ago, chadbag said:

I find the little prongs hold the windows until I try and touch anything on the unit (to put it back together) and then immediately the windows fall out again.

Felt. Try PVA, my clumsy fingers always "remove" the windows as well XD