Japanese G Scale

Has anyone seen any commercially produced Japanese trains in G scale? The only thing I’ve seen is the chap in the US making the 500 shinkansens.

thanks,

jeff

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bill937ca said:

A long time ago Atomic made some 1/40 Big Scale trains.  Still listed on Hobby Search, but long gone.

Searching YAJ Model Trains for '1/40', there's an engine up  now.  It's one of the 1¥ starting bids, which always seem a little dubious.

• Like 1

Someone from England contacted JRM asking about Japanese G scale.

im guessing I’d there is any Japanese G scale would be 1/22.5 scale for meter gauge.

jeff

Not sure whether as big as G scale but Tokyu Hands Hakata carries some live steam models of D51 as well as some older JNR coaches. Definitely slightly larger than O scale. 

marknewton
4 hours ago, Kamome said:

Not sure whether as big as G scale but Tokyu Hands Hakata carries some live steam models of D51 as well as some older JNR coaches. Definitely slightly larger than O scale. 

Possibly the Aster No.1 gauge models?

Cheers,

Mark.

• Thanks 1
On 5/1/2023 at 12:13 AM, cteno4 said:

I can't say for certain how many enquires have been made to the JRM in the past, but I am England and that was most certainly me in one instance. In fact, I also have several outstanding enquiries listed on this forum for different aspects of that same project. Namely: Engineering Drawings for various railway vehicles and the Corrugated Type A wheel set used on many Electric Multiple Unit stock formations.

https://jnsforum.com/community/topic/18005-type-a-corrugated-wheel-drawings-wanted/#comment-220743

https://jnsforum.com/community/topic/18581-180-scale-drawings-wanted/#comment-230466

As part of that project, an engineering manual on the EF65 was recently sourced from Japan. Since I also belong to a small group building Gauge 3 models, where one of the members sells Gauge ONE and Gauge THREE axle-hung motor/gearbox units, for which I intend to test several of each to establish which works best with modelling Japanese Cape Gauge. Scaled out strictly, that would be 1/24th on Gauge 1 track (45 mm) and 1/16th on Gauge 3 track (63.2 mm - 2 & 1/2"). 

But as Jeff mentions, 1/22nd might be more commercially appropriate in order to be compatible with other G scale manufacturers accessories.  In fact, 3D printing is taking off in Japan for models of approximately this size. .STL files are already commercially available for several Japanese outline models.

Also, the mixed gauges of Japanese Railways could run together in the same scale, as the Cape Gauge trains would run on G scale track and Shinkansen/standard gauge local EMUs could run on standard gauge track represented by using Gauge 3 track. Both then remaining in scale to each other.

In summary:-

I have two EMU bogies (trucks) currently being developed for testing motor/gearboxes, one for 45 mm, and another for 63.5 mm.

Currently, I'm actively collecting Fonts, photos of numbering, manufacturers plates, graphics and engineering drawings for all types of rolling stock, colour light signals, catenary and physical infrastructure (buildings). Particularly needed, is a high resolution photo of the numbering Fonts for Electric locomotives, the JRF logo and graphics used on the EF210, EH500 series of electric locomotives, amongst many others.

These are also to be used for my N gauge models where I need to renumber locomotives and want to produce replacement N gauge plates in brass and other decal accessories. As well as use for N gauge, I want to scale them for larger models up to and including 5" gauge (127 mm 2 & 1/2") and larger! I.e. 1/8th scale at least.

Robert

• Like 1

Robert,

good you can take it from here. So far no one in the club has piped in with commercial Japanese G scale info.

I’ve seen a number of Japanese G scale and I think all were custom built stuff.

jeff

.Hello Jeff,

Glad to be of assistance. As far as my research is concerned, I have observed nobody producing commercial G Scale Cape Gauge in 45 mm, There is one museum quality O Series Shinkansen driving car, for display only which is sized for 45 mm track, but that is for healthy wallets in excess of $7000.

I have recently found that amongst various social media platforms, Twitter seems to have a healthy modelling community for N, HO, G and 5" gauge Japanese modelling.

There are also fibreglass manufacturers of 5" gauge ride-on driving cars for O and N700 series Shinkansen. The Sanariko Park Miniature Railway located 2 miles away as the crow flies from Hamamatsu Railway Works runs them for the public. http://chgrw.la.coocan.jp/

A.T.B.

Robert

Robert,

did you recently contact JRM on Facebook about commercial .G scale? Just wanted to make sure that was you. Another club member manages Facebook so I just saw the questions on our internal club email list.

I think the G scale 16 car 500 series was like $15,000! I don’t know how many sets he ended up producing. I think he had extrusion material for like 16 or 18 16 car sets.

jeff

No, Jeff, I have got the JRS and the JRM mixed up. 😊 It was the Chairman of the JRS in the UK that I wrote to via the JRS website.

I have Facebook, but a search for JRM produced no results. . .  What is the correct title, please? What does the acronym JRM stand for?

My question(s) to the JRS were along the lines of sourcing line and/or engineering drawings of Japanese rolling stock and engineering drawings of the Corrugated Type A wheel that most Cape Gauge Japanese Electric and Diesel Multiple Units have mounted on the axles of their bogies (trucks).

This enquiry would have covered sourcing Japanese published books of 1/80 scale high resolution line drawings, the publishers, title and ISBN where relevant. And most importantly, where to order them from? My post https://jnsforum.com/community/topic/18581-180-scale-drawings-wanted/#comment-230466 gives a small list of requirements, however I am concentrating on Seno-Hachi line equipment.

• EF66 Electric Locomotive
  • EF67 Electric Locomotive
  • EF210 Electric Locomotive
  • EF510 Electric Locomotive
  • KOKI 5000 Container Wagon
  • TAKI 1000 Oil Tank Wagon
  • Series 115 Electric Multiple Unit
  • Series 227 Electric Multiple Unit
  • JNR Class DE10 (C-B)

I think I will have enough information on the EF65 to proceed when the detailed engineering manual arrives from Japan

Robert

Edited by disturbman

Robert,

JRM is our Japanese model train club in dc; Japan Rail Modelers of Washington DC.

so was not you then. Chap in England is into garden railways and Japanese gardens so looking to combine hobbies I think and wanted to know if there were any commercial sources of Japanese trains in G scale.

cheers,

jeff

We are not all that active on Facebook, mainly just to have presence and put up show dates.

most stuff goes on the website.

jeff