Some questions on wiring

Aleks

Hello, 

this is probably a dumb novice question so apologies... I am wiring my new layout right now for DCC. It will have multiple blocks and detection. In my previous small pilot layout, I was wiring power only to one rail because the other rail was getting powered through the detection wires (with the detection module connected to the power of course). The only exception to this was one section of my Kato double crossing. (For all other turnouts I went the cheap and lazy way of putting the switch into the block on the merging side). I was also really  putting isolation on just the rail with detection.

On the new layout I am wondering if I should isolate both rails in each block. Is there an advantage to doing that?

The detection wires will still have power. I presume it's okay to power the rail with detection through the detection wire, i.e. no separate wire needed for power?

I know it's possible to set up multiple detection areas per block. Is it good practice to do this for all blocks? Or just those where trains typically stop, e.g. stations. I have not had many issues with trains not stopping where I hoped they would.

I know detecting a train on a switch is a good safety practice (and my Kato double crossing has seen a few trains run into each other as a proof of it). Do you typically isolate and set up detection on each switch/turnout? Or just some key or risky ones, or where sequential switches cannot be included in any block (opposite direction switches e.g. >< or crossings/slip switches)?

Many thanks!

Edited by Aleks
  • Aleks changed the title to Some questions on wiring

What's missing is your system detail. Your wiring method depends on what system you are using. Digitrax verses ESU verses Digikijes or NCE will

have its own wiring recommendation. Digitrax uses what they call Direct home wiring.

Direct home wiring is a DCC layout wiring method where each power dis-
trict and its booster tracks are electrically isolated. The track within each power
district uses a “common return” wiring method for occupancy detection and/or
power management. Direct home wiring is the wiring method recommended by
Digitrax and required for proper operation of the BXP88.

image.png.f024821deb82b96420a1496001016768.png

If you are using NCE BD20 for detection then its wiring requirement is different.

image.png.7d0f70167ebdc273184bcdaa0dea0a13.png

Same goes for the switch detection. What system or device are you using.

image.png.9c6e776828b3074e4b24aac2ac9753ae.png

In my opinion I don't use switch detection. A train should not be sitting on a switch and if it is it should be occupying 2 sections.

So the switch should be part of either section.

image.png.e958e918f054f049633b373a3e5dfead.png

I think this might help.....

Inobu

• Like 1

@inobu thank you very much! I use ESU ECoS as the DCC system. I don't think I will have a large enough system to require a booster.

For detection I am using ESU ECoS Detector, and just got a couple LDT RM-GB-8-N units to use in the new layout.

My track is Tomix for the new layout, I will probably use Tomix native power wires with cutoff connectors to connect to the power bus/detection.

My switches in the new layout are Tomix, and again will probably use Tomix native wires to connect to the accessory decoder/power and through that back to ECoS as well. I am using Digikeijs 4018 as accessory decoder for the 8 switches on the pilot layout. Given their bankruptcy, I am choosing between YaMoRC 8116 + 6940 and LDT 1-DEC-DC-G for new layout switches.

ESU is really good stuff. You know the Signal Pilot is really good. It can operate switches as well. I started using them over the Switch Pilot.

I would invest in Anyrail if you haven't got track software. It will save you a lot of heartache as you can build and tear down in minutes

and avoid problems.

Inobu

Thank you @inobu. I do have AnyRail, have been using it to plan the layout. I will look into Signal Pilot. What makes it more attractive to you than Switch Pilot?

It does everything. One of the issues with the Switch Pilot is the additional component need to use Kato switches.

With the Signal Pilot you can control the Kato switches directly along with everything else (lights, relays.....)

Inobu