Anime or Figure (in 3D) Model Trains

bc6

Every once and a while when checking out Japanese N gauge videos I see a cute train running on the layout. I think one was a Gerbil or something Im thinking about mounting a Pikachu on a tiny motor for a cute train. Do you have any cute trains if so please post them for everyone to see. Of course who doesn't like the Sushi train not me that for sure.

7 hours ago, bc6 said:

I think one was a Gerbil or something Im thinking about mounting a Pikachu on a tiny motor for a cute train.

A gerbil? Never seen that one, but there is a couple of Pokémon theme trains in Japan. Tomix made a model of the Pokémon with You train, which feature Pikachu.

These aren't themed or wrapped trains I'm talking about I'm sure these are highly modified figures that have been fitted onto a chassis. It's too bad I don't have a example to show.

Edited by bc6
Corrections

while Englishn is the lingua franca of the forums, many of our members are either English as a second language or taught in different English speaking countries, so we just have to be a bit clearer on terms and explanations to make sure we are all talking about the same thing.

I have my sushi train.

post-24-0-13376100-1383087891.jpg

and I’ve been meaning to make an Oscar Mayer wiener car. I have a dog toy to try something like the Pepsi ad and have lurked for a cheap wienermobile hot wheels. But hot wheel will most likely be out of loading gauge I fear and may require some modifications to the base.

jeff

There's Thomas the Tank Engine and James on the Oigawa Railway

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1
  • cteno4 changed the title to Anime or Figure (in 3D) Model Trains
On 4/27/2023 at 1:29 AM, bc6 said:

What character is that?

It’s the Cat Bus from the Ghibli movie Totoro. 

On 4/27/2023 at 1:33 AM, cteno4 said:

Bet a little TGW single truck mech would fit in his belly!

Yeah but how do I make it fly?

Todd

Edited by disturbman

Funnily enough, a member of our local Märklin Club did just that once with his Rail Zeppelin at a train show!

He didn't try it on purpose, I think the decoder faulted or something but it shot off the side of the layout at high speed and cracked one side of the frame on impact with the floor. A little UV glue worked wonders to fix it though.

Alastair

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 1

Ouch! We had one with a 16 car bullet train going into the big yard and the operator got turned around and turned the controller knob the wrong direction and it went flying off the end of the yard and onto the floor…

love my zeppelin car! I need to take it to some shows again. Everyone thinks it’s a joke train and fun telling them the story.

jeff

• Like 1

I got given one of those for a joke present. It's huge! Will not fit through HO-Narrow loading gauge, much less N.

• Haha 1

That’s what I thought when I first saw them. I prefer my $3 erasers and a few inexpensive freight car sushi train… I just got a little fish shaped soy sauce plastic container to go with it. I had some set aside but misplaced them so found some cheap on aliexpress. I’ve toyed with the idea of making two I beam trucks and holders to also drag a set of chopsticks as well, but I fear that will go out of loading gauge and just get more fiddly to run. I may be happy to just add a car with soy sauce and a wad of wasabi made out of plymo.

jeff

I think Tsugawa just bought full size sushi models from a catering supplier (the sort of thing you see in restaurant window displays to represent the dishes on offer) and stuck powered chassis in the bottom without thinking about size. Some kaiten-zushi places sell very big sushi, multi-mouthful marvels nothing like the tiny things peddled internationally.

Would using child-sized chopsticks work for the sushi train? Many of the short ones for children must surely be no longer than an N scale shinkansen car......

Edited by Beaver

Yeah I actually almost bought some full scale food models but I got the size on them and it was just out of loading gauge. Erasers were a lot cheaper and perfect fit into the little Tora wagons. The toy look to the actually makes it a bit more playful. We usually say it’s jsut goji’s lunch.

I have some Godzilla chopsticks that I could trim down some. But my fear is it will just get too much. I mock it up sometime and see. It’s nice as it fits on a short siding now. It is a real crowd pleaser. 

come to think of it scale chopsticks for original Goji would be more like 3” long probably anyway. I’ll have to see what size and diameter chopsticks would look right in our 15” tall Goji’s hand.

I did have the idea of trying to modify one of the sushi’s to have a car or small truck on it…

jeff

ATShinkansen

A more clever alternative to using chopsticks as a load is to build a hashi out of hashi!

Build a chopstick out of a chopstick?

the other weekend at the train show I was looking at Goji to try and see what length chopsticks might work well for his use! Looks around 3” so may just mill some out of takeaway chopsticks. Was that what you meant? 

was thinking maybe a slightly crushed down car (caved in roof) for a hashioki.

jeff

ATShinkansen

HAshi (箸) is “chopsticks”; haSHI (橋), on the other hand, is “bridge”.  A model railroad is the perfect place to take advantage of this word play!

Nightmare and confusion for a dyslexic like me though! 

after watching squid do all his takeaway chopstick scenery substructures I did toy with the idea of a big timber bridge made out of takeaway chopsticks! 

but now it’s an idea for a farcical mini onetrak module!

thanks,

jeff