All The Shinkansens 2023 and Train Shops Outside Tokyo

Hey all,

I'm a long tone lurker, after a 2018 trip to Kyoto where I bought a N700A from the Kato Kyoto Station store. That's now blossomed into a closet full of N. I had planned a trip to ride to entire Shinkansen network in April 2020, which obviously didn't happen. Now the trip is happening in August (with the addition of Nagasaki!), and I'm curious for recs of model train shops outside of Tokyo, particularly near major Shinkansen stations. I kinda know where I want to go in Tokyo, but does Hakodate have anything good? Kagoshima? Gotta be someone good somewhere in Kansai?

Tons in Osaka. Mostly south in Den Den Town but they were/are a few around Umeda, so not directly next to a Shinkansen station but all should be easily reachable with the subway from Shin-Osaka.

I would think, outside of Tokyo, Osaka would have the most model shops.

• Like 2

I think I've got the plan set up pretty good, including the Hello Kitty Shinkansen (500 series ✓), and a stopover in Kumamoto when leaving Kagoshima (800 series ✓). 

Any advice on the 700 series? How many are still running?

Well, I'm a week in and finally made my first model purchase, of the J66 E2 in series 200 livery, because it was connected to the E3 I was in day before yesterday! I've now covered the entire JR East Shinkansen network other than the Hokuriku, and heading down to Kagoshima today.

Also, I was the only non Japanese on the SL Banetsu Monotagari yesterday. The staff literally came and asked how I even found out about it lol.

PXL_20230901_074934323.jpg

PXL_20230902_044323926.jpg

Edited by simonbp
  • Like 5