Non-Shinkansen Standard Gauge

ATShinkansen

ATShinkansen

Are N-scale trains for standard gauge companies such as Keisei, Kintetsu, and Hakone-Tozan 1:150 or 1:160?  It really doesn’t matter to me, but I was recently thinking about this.

Always understood private railway standard gauge were 1/150.  I have several and there is no difference in size.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

Always been my understanding only shinkansens are done at 1/160. I have a few of those standard gauge models but have never tried to measure them for scale.

jeff

• Like 1
ATShinkansen

I thought the same, for both replies.  I just found it worth considering.  In my mind, despite being technically oversized, making them 1:150 seems most likely for consistency.

I'm not sure what would have been done for these specifically, but for Australian models (which can be from standard, broad or 3.6 narrow prototypes) it's typically made the same scale and they just fudge the wheels for the track gauge.

I'm going to guess the determining factor is more that the loading gauge is fixed as the same as other models, and the scale and gauge scaled to fit.

Edited by simonbp