Kato V11 set and NCE Power Cab, Can I run two trains?

bc6

I'm pretty sure I can I know the system can handle up to 6 locos. I'm sure I'll need another feeder for the second track should I set up some kind of power distribution system. 

Edit: Just looked at the contents of the set and it comes with a dual feeder section of track. 

Edited by bc6

There are a lot of limitations with the NCE Power Cab. Might be better off with Digitrax or Digikiejs 

for growth. DCC has all sorts of growth directions so you want a CS that allows you to expand.

I have the Power Cab, USB interface, AIU, mini Panel, BD20  and its limiting compared to others.

Its convenient to setup but adding other DCC features may be limiting. 

Inobu

I have ESU, Digitrax, MRC, SProg and Digikiejs as well.

Edited by inobu
  • Like 1

I don't know if you have the Power Cab already but you want to map out your long term modeling goals.

If you are going to go into automation and such you want to make sure that your CS brand can give you

what you need. Buying things over can set you back.

One of the important factors is a sided network bus like Loconet or Railcom. These sided network provides

another communication path for the CS to communicate with other devices to operate the layout.

Not sure is you have the Power Cab yet but I just thought I would add that.

Inobu

On 4/7/2023 at 7:48 PM, inobu said:

I don't know if you have the Power Cab already but you want to map out your long term modeling goals.

If you are going to go into automation and such you want to make sure that your CS brand can give you

what you need. Buying things over can set you back.

One of the important factors is a sided network bus like Loconet or Railcom. These sided network provides

another communication path for the CS to communicate with other devices to operate the layout.

Not sure is you have the Power Cab yet but I just thought I would add that.

Inobu

inobu I actually do have the PowerCab its the controller that got me into DCC.

Its never too late to upgrade if NCE doesnt suit my needs so far so good. 

I dont understand what you mean by "CS brand" can you explain please?

Make sure that the Command Station Brand can give you what you need.

The comment stems from one's growth into DCC. As you grow into DCC you needs and wants start to grow as well.

NCE Power Cab is good to start off with but when its comes to growing its features its quite limiting compared to

ESU and Digitrax.

You ask can it run 2 trains. The answer is yes but the question is how easy is it to jump from one train to the other

and how fast can you switch. Those are the factors that comes into play. 

Sooner or later you will want to bring a PC into the mix. At that point you will need a USB interface.

image.png.26162ba2ed77cb696f0823dbcb3afab2.png

If you want more features Signal lights, block detection and other its will be a lot harder with the Power Cab.

Where as with the Digitrax or ESU Command stations its all plug and play.

That's why its important to map your layout goals first and purchase toward that goal.

If you have the money its not a problem but still its spending your hobby dollars wisely.

Going back to your running two trains.

The Digitrax Zephyr has a USB interface built in. With that you can add a PC and JMRI.

You can then control the trains via your Cell phone without buying anything.

You have to buy the NCE USB Interface. Its little things like that that adds up.

I had a client that said he didn't like DCC and said his DC system was better for him.

When I saw how he ran his train and then asked what Command Station do you have?

He pulled out a MRC Prodigy. I said that's the wrong system for you. The way you run 

your trains you need ESU's ECoS. He now loves DCC. He runs 8 to 10 trains at one time.

So the Command Station needs to match the users operation style. 

Inobu