Good article on U.S. freight train lengths and safety risks

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Trains are getting longer. Railroads are getting richer. But these “monster trains” are jumping off of tracks across America and regulators are doing little to curb the risk.

full article with good graphics:

https://www.propublica.org/article/train-derailment-long-trains

*I remember seeing ~1 mile long coal trains on the Colorado Joint Line back in the late 70s and 80s, hauling Wyoming coal to Texas utilities, but I didn't know freight trains now can be 2 or even 3 miles long!

• Like 1

Wow, that's a lot of boxcars to count!

When I was young, B&M freight trains used to criss cross Malden serving the light industries we had back then too.  When stopped at a crossing light in a car, we would count box cars, a very entertaining way to spend the time. 

Those local freights used to travel very slowly sine there were so many grade crossings on side streets, plus shunting stops along the way.  You could easily walk along beside them.  And at that speed, it was also very easy to hop up into an open boxcar door and ride along for several blocks before hopping off.  That was the best way to travel!
: 3

Yes it’s a problem brewing for a long time here. Companies ignoring regulations and gaming the system. Sad to watch. A lot of the problem areas are places with low incomes and no political power as well. Sad.

jeff

• Like 2
maihama eki

The nickname "bomb train". yikes.

When I was young, freight trains were required to slow down through my home town in eastern Montana. Now, they come through at 70 mph plus.

The railroads are pushing hard for a single person crew rule instead of two.