Outland Buildings

cteno4

Guess what showed up today, Yup took me all about 10 minutes to put together Im sure it was less lol.

Im on the hunt for another outland building, Not to shabby huh?

20230406_173659.thumb.jpg.3010225a69d7c7fd83d4cfd620c7d5aa.jpg

• Like 3

nice. yep fast and easy to assemble and easy to take apart if needed. also great for kitbashing.

jeff

• Like 1

The seams are not always totally flush without glue and some seem (no pun intended) to open a little with time so in the long run best to glue, but in the short term not needed and leaves open the chance for interior detailing and lighting. For lighting you do need to make sure the butt seams on the corners are all flush or do some light sealing on the inside of seams.

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

I thought this one was pretty cool so I had to get it.

It kind of reminds me of those faceless high rise detention centers all around the world or a fancy rooftop hotel

As usual it was very easy to put together probably took ten minutes to assemble. 

Its next to the first Outland Models building I purchased. 

20230420_215829.jpg

Edited by bc6
  • Like 3

What are you planning to do with that one? I never understood the appeal of these "destroyed" looking buildings, unless you are using them as tabletop wargame scenic. So whats your plan?

Edited by Wolf
  • cteno4 changed the title to Outland Buildings
1 hour ago, Wolf said:

Also, pictures were probably be more suited for the existing Outland Model thread.

ADMIN NOTE: I merged several of the topics on outland buildings into this single topic to keep the content together.

jeff

2 hours ago, Wolf said:

What are you planning to do with that one? I never understood the appeal of these "destroyed" looking buildings, unless you are using them as tabletop wargame scenic. So whats your plan?

Godzilla of course lol, I know that buildings get demolished all the time and the new building will represent that. Oh yeah forget the 3D printed UFO hanging out the side of the building it makes a great eye catcher as well.

Edited by bc6
  • Like 1

Speaking of Godzilla, has anyone found an N scale version? All I seem to see are wildly out of scale.

????? Godzilla is not N scale!!   😎  If Godzilla was to scale it would not be Godzilla!

Edited by bill937ca

Original godzilla was about 50m tall so n scale would put it at 33cm or 13 inches tall. After the 70s he started to grow to 150m tall with later versions.

There is an Imperial toy Goji about 14” tall that comes up on ebay a lot for around $20 that has been our layout mascot for 20 years now. He’s close, but not super accurate (but had a Toho licensee), but posable.

there is a slightly larger knock off that is more dinosaur like and who’s back fins are word down to nubs. There are a lot of nice ones done in the 10-12” range but they can get expensive and a little small. 

I also have a decent ultraman, but just a tad big at about 15” tall, he should be about 12” tall. Mothra would be about 47” wing span so a bit big for a layout. I saw an inflatable one that was close to a meter that I wish I had bought.

jeff

IMG_2041.jpeg

IMG_2043.jpeg

Showa period, Gojira is 50m tall.  Hesei, starts at 80m in the 1980s and finishes at 100m through the 1990s.  Millenium starts at 100m and ends a hair shy of 120m.  Also 120m in the US Monsterverse and Shin Gojira.

So, correct N scale height really depends on which suit you have a model of!

Going under scale for a flying Mothra would look right.  Technically, looking down on a model from above, forced perspective would argue that something in the sky should be at a larger scale.  But from the ground eye view, we are all so used to things in the sky looking smaller.  Wargamers tend to be happy using smaller scales for flying aircraft models in games because it just looks better that way.

In the US, ClawMarkToys.com is a great place to start your shopping.
: 3

• Like 1

whoops I had 150m in my head, but 120m sounds right. Goji kept growing and his head ever shrinking. He now looks like a hissing possum! Just silly. I’m a traditionalist on the good old Showa era Goji.

I have a mothra that’s about 16” wing span and it looks big enough on a building that it works. We don’t use it too much as it’s tends to sort too take over with both Goji and mothra there,

I actually have the remote control 1/100 Showa era model. While many might not see he is 50% oversized he just takes up a very large space, but the fun of him is you can scare people by having him move or roar!

we do sometimes put a little blue tooth speaker under Goji so we can trigger a roar when someone leans into look at him. Makes people jump! They then sit there and try to wave their hands or say something and such to see what triggers Goji’s roar. Fun to mess with them, especially when two people are there and you only make it roar for one person waving their hands at him but not the other person! 

jeff

• Like 2

Common sizes for larger Godzilla toys are 12", 18", and 24".  So, N scale 46m, 89m, and 112m — gets you into the right ballpark for the different periods.

This is the latest Outland building I've purchased   almost completed which will but turned into an medium size police station and the building next to it will be a small Koban.

i0u1MDrl.jpg

Edited by bc6
  • Like 1