Im sure this is possible but how would I start - Automated announcements when train enters station and leaves station

Im thinking about having announcements and chimes play as a train enters the station and leave the station. 

I haven't done a Google search yet but probably should have, I'm 90% sure someone has attempted to do what I've described right?

There a number of very cheap audio playback boards (like less than $2 each) that can play mp3 files with a momentary switch closure. This could be activated with a simple circuit using something like a photo resistor that would be tripped when a train is over the photo resistor and cause the switch close to fire the audio player.. I’ve never tried it but some of the audio playback boards might even work with just a photo resistor that would essentially close (high resistance) when covered by a train. It would also require that the non covered state have a low enough resistance when not covered. Of course systems like this don’t work with night running unless there is night spot illumination that can replace room light.

jeff

• Like 1

DIY -> Arduino + DFPlayer + RFID readers (better with separate antenna) + RFID tags on each train and play specific announcements and chimes

Ciao!

Massimo

• Like 2

The df players work great on their own as well and it’s amazing what you can do with switch closure or button matrix. they just blow me away at less than $2 each! The bloody memory cards are more expensive than the player and you have to buy huge memory cards these days to get them cheap!

I’ve put them in stuffed toys my wife has kit to play animal sounds. For the humpback whale you squeezed his dorsal fin for on/off, pect fin were track forward and backward and each tip of the fluke was vol up/down. Very fun, grand nephew loved it. I’m sure his parents hated it! 

rfid and arduino control would be fun to track trains and play specific station announcements.

jeff

• Like 2
nscalestation

I have a grade crossing bell for my US prototype home layout that uses a small circuit board to make the sound.  Years ago I had contacted the manufacturer of that circuit about having the jingles or announcements for Japanese stations.  He said he could do it but I would need to get him the sound files.  I never did get that far so this might be an option.  

As for activation, I have been using the Azatrax IR sensors with great success again on my home layout.  Besides activating the grade crossing, I use them to move points on 2 reverse loops in the staging yards and also to auto sequence trains in one of the staging yards.   They will also work in the dark.

• Like 1
On 4/4/2023 at 11:30 PM, bill937ca said:

Tomix 5722 TCS Platform Sound Effects Unit  II

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10560440

On 4/4/2023 at 11:30 PM, bill937ca said:

Wow this looks interesting, I like how you can add your voice and record sound or playback from a phone plus it has so many sounds. Thanks for sharing this I had no ideal it existed. 

Thanks for 

On 4/5/2023 at 2:10 AM, cteno4 said:

There a number of very cheap audio playback boards (like less than $2 each) that can play mp3 files with a momentary switch closure. This could be activated with a simple circuit using something like a photo resistor that would be tripped when a train is over the photo resistor and cause the switch close to fire the audio player.. I’ve never tried it but some of the audio playback boards might even work with just a photo resistor that would essentially close (high resistance) when covered by a train. It would also require that the non covered state have a low enough resistance when not covered. Of course systems like this don’t work with night running unless there is night spot illumination that can replace room light.

jeff

This is good stuff Jeff I saw a lot of those boards on Amazon you mentioned and thanks for  the other suggestions. 

The df player is fun to mess with and simple, no programming necessary, just some momentary closures or a button matrix. A number of nice sources for info on the web for them.

jeff

• Like 1