So you want to try Tomix FineTrack?

CaptOblivious

Has anyone built a commercial Kato to Tomix connector track? I can see how to make one, but a prebuilt would be nicer...

Hey guys, I made a huge mistake...

On previous layouts I always just made level crossings with plaster.  I'd cover over the area in plaster nice and smooth and level then I'd drag some wheels over it a few times to dig in the ruts for the wheels.  Once dry I'd use some little dental tools to clean out these grooves and make them flawless for trains to pass through.

For some reason this method just isn't working for me for my tram I'm trying to build.  The edges are crumbling, and even with over 1mm wide channels my trains do not enjoy running on them.  So I dug all the plaster out from the center of the track and started cutting styrene strips.

I cut 7mm wide strips and they work perfect.  Exactly correct height and the width seems perfect too.  The only problem is the curves.  I've spent the last 2 hours trying to cut a perfect curve piece for my 103mm track and I just can't do it, it never turns out...

So my question is: does tomix sell the "covers" for its wide-tram system separately?  Am I going to have to buy a few packages of widetram track just to get a single part?  Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve my problem?  The straight sections I can do no problem, but the curves have me ready to cry!

Ah that's good... but I only need 1 part from it, the 103mm curve.  The rest would be pretty much useless for me :(

I just need 360 degrees of 103mm curve cover. 

Joe Freese

For a source for Tomix Fine Track, may I suggest Tenshodo (overseas@tenshodo.co.jp). I have ordered from them for quite a few years. Their service is excellent, and no one packs models so well. Also, they will ship EMS or "regular" mail which is much less expensive. I am not sure, but I believe they also may give a discount.

Some years ago I built an N Gauge Japanese layout using Kato UniTrack. It worked well, but this time I am going with the Tomix Fine Track because of the greater versatility and greater variety of track pieces. Also, I like the smaller profile of the Tomix roadbed. I will be using the structures from the previous layout. I do not anticipate a problem with the Kato island platforms, as I will use small Tomix track pieces to adjust the spacing between tracks.

I notice that most of the messages in this section are from 2008, so perhaps this information is a bit late for some of you.

CaptOblivious

For a source for Tomix Fine Track, may I suggest Tenshodo (overseas@tenshodo.co.jp). I have ordered from them for quite a few years. Their service is excellent, and no one packs models so well. Also, they will ship EMS or "regular" mail which is much less expensive. I am not sure, but I believe they also may give a discount.

Some years ago I built an N Gauge Japanese layout using Kato UniTrack. It worked well, but this time I am going with the Tomix Fine Track because of the greater versatility and greater variety of track pieces. Also, I like the smaller profile of the Tomix roadbed. I will be using the structures from the previous layout. I do not anticipate a problem with the Kato island platforms, as I will use small Tomix track pieces to adjust the spacing between tracks.

I notice that most of the messages in this section are from 2008, so perhaps this information is a bit late for some of you.

This is a good email address to have. I have ordered from Tenshodo before, but only through their Rakuten store. Cutting out the middle man would be nice.

And, you are right: No-one packs like they do! It's like my birthday everytime I get something from them!

http://akihabara.artificial-science.org/files/2009/08/DSCN3976.jpg

This is a good email address to have. I have ordered from Tenshodo before, but only through their Rakuten store. Cutting out the middle man would be nice.

And, you are right: No-one packs like they do! It's like my birthday everytime I get something from them!

http://akihabara.artificial-science.org/files/2009/08/DSCN3976.jpg

They pack the box with a simple paper?? No cardboard box, bubbles or styrofoam to protect it?

I suspect that what's actually shown there is the wrapping they put on the individual boxes before they're packed for shipping. The Japanese are obsessed with presentation - I've had book store clerks wrap the cover of the book I bought like a second dust jacket.

I've had book store clerks wrap the cover of the book I bought like a second dust jacket.

that would be normal  (even when u buy used stuff dc'c dvd's etc  "book off" it will be in perfect

order even with the orgilal lables the go on the outside od the pakaging with price tag :) )

For those of you not yet aware of this, BT Trains now carries most of the Tomix Fine Track line IN STOCK, in Seattle, WA.

If you need Tomix track you can shop right here in the USA and pay much lower shipping fees.

Come take a look!  www.bttrains.com

For those of you not yet aware of this, BT Trains now carries most of the Tomix Fine Track line IN STOCK, in Seattle, WA.

If you need Tomix track you can shop right here in the USA and pay much lower shipping fees.

Come take a look!  www.bttrains.com

I just wish there was a better shipment deal available for Europe. Too bad.

Okay, tried this, don't think it took, so try, try again . . .

Has anyone tried cutting back the curved side of a Tomix R280-30 turnout?

I need a short turnout with about 15 degree curved section.  R140's are too small a radius,

the R541-15's are too long, and the R280-30's bend too far.  (Sigh.)

Thanks,

Joe

Okay, tried this, don't think it took, so try, try again . . .

Has anyone tried cutting back the curved side of a Tomix R280-30 turnout?

I need a short turnout with about 15 degree curved section.  R140's are too small a radius,

the R541-15's are too long, and the R280-30's bend too far.  (Sigh.)

Thanks,

Joe

i wouldn't cut it back you will loose power on the cut section.

under the turn out is a board that help control power to the track.

Just a quick question: is it possible to use Tomix switches with built-in motors with the Kato switch controller (that blue thing that you have to attach to the analog controller)?

They're both two-wire solenoid switches operating on 12V DC, so I'd expect them to work identically and thus you could use one's control with the other's switch.  I haven't actually tried it though.

And, of course, the connectors are incompatible, so you'd need to cut and splice wires.

Thanks, good to know that. Kato sells those connector cables separately, and attaching them to each other is no problem for me.

tgv_obsessed

Kato likes 66mm track centers for their platforms. 

Joe, thanks that's useful information to know! How wide is Unitrack? FineTrack is 18.5mm wide, allowing for platforms 37mm wide (at 55.5mm center-to-center spacing).

Unitrack is 25mm wide.

Which makes Kato island platforms 41mm wide. Just a hair too wide for FineTrack, but perhaps the ambitious modeler could rectify that…

More ambitious than I am.

the issue here is that the Kato Island platform fits between double spacing, the Tomix one fits between 1.5 spacing - so 66mm for Kato and 55mmm for Tomix

the solution is not to cut the platform, but to make the spacing wider - and it is so so easy:

both track systems use a straight at 15 degrees to increase their spacings by half- for Kato you use a 64mm and for Tomix you use 72.5. Conveniently both correspond to the length of a half straight used along the horizontal- for Kato thats 62mm, for Tomix thats 70mm

So, to fit Kato station where a Tomix one would go, you add an extra 72.5 coming from the point (there is probably already one there- just add to it) and a 70 along the horizontal. Of course you need to do that at both ends of the station if it is a through station.

then the Kato station fits very well, albeit with a few mm to spare- but that is probably a good thing

CaptOblivious

Does anyone, Tomix included, make single- or double-track viaducts for the Mini/Supermini radii Sidetrack?

Not Tomix.  The only chance is a small vendor like Flor Verde. Here`s one but its not curved.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10197412

EDIT: Under B-train shorty track & structure  on HS you will find some very short deck and gutter bridges by Cosmic-- all about to be released with reservations closed.  But again they are all straight--but very short.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10130178

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10130174

CaptOblivious

Not Tomix.  The only chance is a small vendor like Flor Verde. Here`s one but its not curved.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10197412

yeah, its the curved part that is important, really. And I'm looking for viaduct rather than something like a girder bridge. Even plans for a DIY project would be welcome.