So you want to try Tomix FineTrack?

CaptOblivious

I am just wanting to know from Tomix track owners! Has anyone ever ran six axle locomotives on their  45 deg  R=243mm numbers 1855/1125/1195 curve tracks? Was there any issues?

Martijn Meerts

I've not had any issues running anything through Tomix 243mm radius curves. Only a few shinkansen are a bit tight, but they're rated for 310mm minimum so that makes sense.

46 minutes ago, Martijn Meerts said:

I've not had any issues running anything through Tomix 243mm radius curves. Only a few shinkansen are a bit tight, but they're rated for 310mm minimum so that makes sense.

I thought that the Shinkansen were four axle?

Martijn Meerts

They are, they're just the only trains I've had minor issues with, everything else ran through the curves fine.

roadstar_na6

But "anything apart from a few Shinkansen‘s" includes 6 axle locos I guess...

Edited by roadstar_na6

My inner loop is R243 and I don't have any issues, but I don't run 6 axle locomotives or Shinkansen.   

I think it would be best to test this with your locos. I’m assuming these are mostly bigger us locos like sd40s and the like?

I had a lot of 4, 6 and 8 (yes I’m a dd40 sucker) us locos (now away in storage for 20 years) and when running on temp setups with old atlas sectional track I was surprised what was cranky on smaller radiuses did not always match up wit more axles. Might also check with folks on one of the us train forums and lists with your loco list and see if they have an idea of what works and what doesn’t. Lots of larger us locos make it around the inside track on Ttrak at 282mm radius.

jeff

6 hours ago, cteno4 said:

I think it would be best to test this with your locos. I’m assuming these are mostly bigger us locos like sd40s and the like?

I had a lot of 4, 6 and 8 (yes I’m a dd40 sucker) us locos (now away in storage for 20 years) and when running on temp setups with old atlas sectional track I was surprised what was cranky on smaller radiuses did not always match up wit more axles. Might also check with folks on one of the us train forums and lists with your loco list and see if they have an idea of what works and what doesn’t. Lots of larger us locos make it around the inside track on Ttrak at 282mm radius.

jeff

Are you running Tomix?

I usually use Kato, but have a bunch of Tomix I play with. makes no difference anyway, functionally the same.

I use to run the us stuff on atlas snap track and I think the tighter radius is about at 243mm and some of my us larger locos did not do well on them.

what locos are you asking about specifically? Again if us stuff maybe best to ask about 9” radius on som of he us forums a lists. Folks here are primarily Japanese oriented. Or just get some 243 track and try your locos to make sure they operate as you would like them to. While many shinkansens can make it thru 243 radius track I would not want to use them myself as it looks horrid.

jeff

Martijn Meerts

I've run EF58 (Kato), GG1 (Kato), EH500 (Tomix), BR103 (Fleischmann), GS4 (Kato), EF510 (Tomix), DD51 (Tomix) etc. through the curves without issues. Heck, even ShiKi 800 (MicroAce) was fine, even though that's not a loco, but has plenty axles.

• Like 1
Ochanomizu

Hello MoPac,

My Kato EF58's go around Tomix 243mm, apparently fine.  That said, the bogies on these models appear to be designed for tight radii track.

Kato EF58-60

Can't comment on other manufacturer's product.

• Like 1

I came across some older Tomix track online. Does anyone have cross-reference numbers from the older brown ties track I.E. 1001, 1002, 1005, 1006, 1101, 1102, 1103, 1106 to the current track?

On 9/18/2020 at 5:00 PM, katoftw said:

I just googled the first two.

1001 is S140

1002 is S280

Shouldnt be difficult to google the rest.

Thanks! I have wound up doing this. Though some of the pieces that I need I cannot find the numbers. I was hoping that someone would have the old track list.

On 9/20/2020 at 9:06 PM, MoPac said:

Thanks! I have wound up doing this. Though some of the pieces that I need I cannot find the numbers. I was hoping that someone would have the old track list.

Tell me the numbers that you still need to identify, and I'll try to look them up.

Rich K.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, brill27mcb said:

Tell me the numbers that you still need to identify, and I'll try to look them up.

Rich K.

I did find most of the numbers the only ones in question is 1005 and 1106 I did find the other numbers. Thanks for your help.

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I've recently acquired a couple of packs of Tomix tram track. Do they make road plates to fit around it like Kato do with Unitram?

Impulse buy inspired by videos of the Rhätische Bahn street running at Arosa and through Tirano, if anyone is wondering why! I've always had a fascination with inlaid track in industrial areas and docksides too. Might look for a pack of the plastic mouldings to convert turnouts for a bit of variety.