So you want to try Tomix FineTrack?

CaptOblivious

We've used Kato track on our Japanese exhibition layouts for some years now and have no problems with it.  We've also used Tomix track on my wife's German N gauge layout, again with no problems.

NORM.

Does someone here knows how the new Cant Rail (the wide rails) from Tomix works? Do you really need a transition piece between a curved and a straight?

CaptOblivious

Does someone here knows how the new Cant Rail (the wide rails) from Tomix works? Do you really need a transition piece between a curved and a straight?

Good question. I really want to buy some, but I just don't have the justification for it right now—the curves are too wide to fit on my desk!

True. We will know for sure in a few weeks. I ordered today enough curves - and just in case, the so called "approach track" - to form a (very big) oval.

Answer in a month or so.

CaptOblivious

I suspect that you could use regular FineTrack curves as approaches, but it would be twisted slightly, and might look funny. I'm that you could just attach the canted curves to the regular straights, but that it would look really funny.

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

In regards to this new wide PC stuff.. is it compatible with the regular fine track?  I would sure assume so.. but I haven't seen anything say that yes it is.  The plastic trackbed looks to be twice as wide as the regular fine track.. which makes me think it will look very strange if you match the two together without ballasting the whole thing to hide the difference in the trackbed widths..

Then again.. maybe this is just me.. but I wish tomix/kato would sell turnouts in something other than the wooden ties.  I think it looks really off having high-speed concrete slab rail (or concrete ties) and smack in the middle is this wooden tie double crossover.  I know.. I know.. it's probably not profitable for them to make 3 different roadbeds for turnouts.. but dang I wish they would..

The idea of a single track elevated curve is fantastic.. but like the Captain said.. the curves are too big a radius for my shelf layout..

That's exactly my reasoning. Both type of tracks can connect with one other. The real funky part is the superelevated stuff. I'm guessing you can't connected to everything... or maybe you can but at your own risk. Doing that will certainly lead to horrible crashing sound.

As for myself, I don't really care for the wide radii, the difference in width and ties... I'll be using this with my floor layout. Having a nice superelevated curve has no price in my opinion.  :cool:

CaptOblivious

The two systems use identical connectors, so you can freely mix regular FineTrack (and older Tomix tracks) with the wide PC track. But the difference in ballasting will make them look a little odd together…

hey hey,

In regards to this new wide PC stuff.. is it compatible with the regular fine track?  I would sure assume so.. but I haven't seen anything say that yes it is.  The plastic trackbed looks to be twice as wide as the regular fine track.. which makes me think it will look very strange if you match the two together without ballasting the whole thing to hide the difference in the trackbed widths..

Then again.. maybe this is just me.. but I wish tomix/kato would sell turnouts in something other than the wooden ties.  I think it looks really off having high-speed concrete slab rail (or concrete ties) and smack in the middle is this wooden tie double crossover.  I know.. I know.. it's probably not profitable for them to make 3 different roadbeds for turnouts.. but dang I wish they would..

The idea of a single track elevated curve is fantastic.. but like the Captain said.. the curves are too big a radius for my shelf layout..

hey hey,

There are several ways you could around this by making the transition on either side of a station, a tunnel or an overpass or even just a level crossing.

CaptOblivious

Tomix has a new page up with some nice pictures and description of the system:

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/menu/tomix_3_3.htm

Interesting tidbits:

It is 100% compatible with regular FineTrack—even the canted pieces, if you needed to do something odd!

The wide parts apparently come off, to give it a profile very close to regular FineTrack. I presume that this is to help with placing stations close enough to the track.

Thanks Don, the page is great.

Today I add a motor to one of my turnouts. It was simple and painless. Incredible! I certainly wasn't thinking it could be a so easy process.

Kato likes 66mm track centers for their platforms. 

Joe

Wow awsome informative topic! Thanks a lot this has helped me out perfectly! I really want the DX ;D. If it possible to link kato stations to tomix finetrack btw?

Thanks! That's why were here.  ;D

The Kato platforms will fit only if you are handy with scratchbuilding techniques. Tomix stations are designed to sit between tracks with centers 55.5mm apart. Kato stations are designed to sit between tracks with centers...I forget, a different distance apart. Further apart, I think, so Kato platforms are wider than would fit Tomix track. This of course only applies to island platforms; wing platforms, or whatever they're called, that sit outside the track will fit regardless.

I am building a TTrak module with two industrial sidings, and am using the Tomix track to give the sidings a different appearance from the main lines.  The module is 620mm long (2x in TTrak units.)  I really do like the Tomix track.  It will get used more around here.

A bit of cutting was necessary to get the Kato crossing to fit and keep the 33mm spacing.  The Kato 'Snap Track' adapter was made for the Tomix.  It fits together easily, as easily as two Tomix or two Kato pieces.

More details have been posted in the Kato Unitrack and TTrak Yahoo groups.  Soon, I'll set up a test loop and play with the switching. 

This is one of a set of 8 to 10 new modules, all with a somewhat dense city theme.  It may not be pure Japanese, but then I've only seen the Narita International area, and that was 15+ years ago.  Target date for all is April, 2010.

A feature on them will be a Tomix tram loop.  It will occupy a lower level, beneath an elevated station.  That scene will be 1860mm long in a pair of 930mm sections, for portability.

Joe

post-186-13569923456442_thumb.jpg

Kato wants 66m spacing for their platforms.

Joe

Wow awsome informative topic! Thanks a lot this has helped me out perfectly! I really want the DX ;D. If it possible to link kato stations to tomix finetrack btw?

Thanks! That's why were here.  ;D

The Kato platforms will fit only if you are handy with scratchbuilding techniques. Tomix stations are designed to sit between tracks with centers 55.5mm apart. Kato stations are designed to sit between tracks with centers...I forget, a different distance apart. Further apart, I think, so Kato platforms are wider than would fit Tomix track. This of course only applies to island platforms; wing platforms, or whatever they're called, that sit outside the track will fit regardless.

CaptOblivious

Joe, thanks that's useful information to know! How wide is Unitrack? FineTrack is 18.5mm wide, allowing for platforms 37mm wide (at 55.5mm center-to-center spacing).

Joe, thanks that's useful information to know! How wide is Unitrack? FineTrack is 18.5mm wide, allowing for platforms 37mm wide (at 55.5mm center-to-center spacing).

Unitrack is 25mm wide.

CaptOblivious

Unitrack is 25mm wide.

Which makes Kato island platforms 41mm wide. Just a hair too wide for FineTrack, but perhaps the ambitious modeler could rectify that…

Unitrack is 25mm wide.

Which makes Kato island platforms 41mm wide. Just a hair too wide for FineTrack, but perhaps the ambitious modeler could rectify that…

More ambitious than I am.

I have 2 questions about Tomix turnouts.  ???

1) What do I need to get to control Tomix's 3 ways turnout? Does it offer smart power routing like Kato Unitrack? Are they reliable?

2)  How do I connect Tomix turnout switch with existing Kato transformer and/or turnout switch?

post-60-13569923457203_thumb.jpg

2)  How do I connect Tomix turnout switch with existing Kato transformer and/or turnout switch?

I've never heard of a provision for this.  I believe this is quite intentional by the manufacturers.  Just another little Japanese monopoly.

I have 2 questions about Tomix turnouts.  ???

1) What do I need to get to control Tomix's 3 ways turnout? Does it offer smart power routing like Kato Unitrack? Are they reliable?

You could use the Tomix 5533 (which allows multiple plugs for switch controls) plus individual switch controls for each point which you plug into the 5533. That is how the double crossover is controlled.

There is a 5536 with three plugs.  This may be new. I'm not sure how the third switch would be controlled with the 5536.

http://www.samuraiexp.com/T_trucks/T5533.html

http://www.samuraiexp.com/T_trucks/T5536.html

5531  standard single switch control .

http://www.samuraiexp.com/T_trucks/T5531.html

Edit: The three way only has two cords so you could probably just use two 5531s and it would not be that much different than two switches back to back.  For each point you either choose straight or into the point direction.

Thanks Bill!  Now I get it.

BTW you link has let me to another question.  Samurai Express was one of my fav ebay sellers.  Do you know it he still selling any products?  Are you  a member to his current online shop?

The prices look very very good!

Thanks Bill!  Now I get it.

BTW you link has let me to another question.  Samurai Express was one of my fav ebay sellers.  Do you know it he still selling any products?  Are you  a member to his current online shop?

The prices look very very good!

I've never purchased from Samurai Express, so I really dont' know.  But I have heard of other people who have purchased from him and are happy.  If I'm not mistaken he operates a hobby shop and his ebay was extra items.