So you want to try Tomix FineTrack?

CaptOblivious

1 hour ago, AllScales said:

I have included them on the layout at the midway point around the loops. I wasn’t able to work out exactly how they operated using just a voltmeter maybe I’ll do something with them later!

The wheels close a track powered circuit. This has two optocoupler leds and one lights up depending on track voltage polarity. The other side of these optocouplers is a TTL opto transistor and each one shorts one side wire to the middle ground. This is used to pull down to ground a pullup resistor equipped digital input in the control unit. The sensors are daisy chainable and connect as an OR circuit.

Normally you could use them to detect the trains. Good for crossings, lineside sound effects, automatic operation and everything that needs a threadle type point train sensor.

So Bill937ca made a couple of great track recommendations for how to fit a long station.  I thought it would be interesting to see the relationship between ALL the curve Radii and how to build a station using Tomix Finetrack.  This isn't really a practical layout, but it shows how I (think) can fit in two islands and a sides for a total of 5 tracks into a station, then how to roll them into the five major curve sets.

https://traxeditor.com/index.php/component/eis/?view=projects&task=details&id=21205

Let me know what you would do different, of if there is something fundamentally wrong with the concept.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bill937ca said:

I couldn't see the plan. The background loads but nothing else.

I couldn't see it either, but my best guess is to add s18.5-s at the 90 degree positions for every island platform. (0, 0, 1, 1, 2 for side, 2, island, 2, island 1)

• Like 1

Pretty poor attempt by that guy to do a comparison. He talked more about track heights and tie colours than anything else. And I stopped watching once he said that Tomix has less available track pieces than Kato does.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, katoftw said:

And I stopped watching once he said that Tomix has less available track pieces than Kato does.

He may have been speaking as a dealer and what he has available to him through his distributors in the US.   From what has been said here before, in the US, Tomix Finetrack does not have wide distribution nor the whole Tomix catalog selection (through normal US retail channels)

• Like 1

Maybe, maybe not.  But in the world of international shopping using the thing called the world wide web.  His statement is false either way.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

To be fair he is a us dealer that probably got some promotionally thru walthers. Walthers is only bringing over a limited subset last I looked and an even more limited subset that is in stock, so as far as he knows it’s similar or less than Kato for selection. I’ve also not seen Walthers do a product sheet showing the basic Tomix track system, geometry, radiuses, etc. so there is little for folks to go on here if getting info and sourcing thru their shops and Walthers. Prices at Walthers for Tomix track is about 2x japan street price as well. 

Jeff

For the main US market, US prototype modellers, Tomix track is not as useful as Kato, who makes US style crossings and right side running signals. For the on the floor runners, Kato track is more sturdy and takes repeated assembly-disassembly better. Tomix track is only good for those who want to make a permanent japanese or british prototype layout as the wider variety of track pieces, ease of layout design and generally better looking track and the various signals shine there.

Imho most people who build layouts get their track in one go or in a few larger batches, so they could get their track from a japanese source much cheaper than for what US (or european) sellers could stock it. Just like most japanese trains that are not stocked by any european seller, it's just cheaper and often faster to get everything from Japan. (the few european sellers who do sell Tomix track usually just add any orders they have to their monthly order from HS or other sources, so you end up with double the price and double or more of the wait time) Tomix having so many different track pieces and accessories does not help either, it's very hard to keep a full selection of tracks and signals in stock, especially with special items like form signals and the various automatic light signals that are an inegral part of the Tomix track system.

ps: I would like to add that the same problem is there with the british Peco code55 tracks, which are rather hard to aquire, despite that it's used as the Fremo standard track. Most shops don't stock it and those who do only at a higher price and with very limited stocks. And this is a british brand within the EU.

13 hours ago, katoftw said:

Still incorrect statement, no matter how excuses may be used to make it fair.

It is not an incorrect statement.  You just have a different frame of reference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, VentureForth said:

Add shipping costs to Japanese online Tomix retailers and you're really looking at a different tier of cost.

An empty suitcase waiting for the next trip to Japan is the only sane way.

I hold off from small Tomix track purchases for this reason. 

And that's why I haven't built many of the track snippets I've posted this year.

(Exception being an emergency repair: new motor chassis for the Shinkansen.)

But in a couple of months, I'll be in Osaka again.

And then use the combined discounts (consumption tax and credit card).

I think Tomix has missed the mark on track colors.  I think the most authentic was the original brown bed.  Wooden ties on "clean" grey bed is unrealistic, concrete ties on "clean" grey bed is equally so, but I think that the BEST color scheme would be grey concrete ties on BROWN ballast. :D The Slab rail isn't far off...

I'm just griping.  It's hard to match the different colors in a clean layout.  Availability seems to be EITHER the brown ties on grey ballast OR the grey ties on grey ballast.  I can't seem to get all I want in one or the other.  But, I started with brown track, so my setup is already a mutt of a layout...

Correct me if I'm wrong (using straight 140mm comparison only):

1001 = Brown Ties, Brown Bed

1051 = Brown Ties, Grey Bed

1091 = Grey Ties, Grey Bed

1047 (?!?) = Grey slab (for viaducts)

Same for curves (C280-45 for comparison):

2001 = Brown Ties, Brown Bed

2051 = Brown Ties, Grey Bed

2091 = Grey Ties, Grey Bed

(?!?) = Grey slab (for viaducts) This P/N doesn't seem to jive with its straight track brother...

Edited by VentureForth
18 minutes ago, VentureForth said:

Wooden ties on "clean" grey bed is unrealistic, concrete ties on "clean" grey bed is equally so, but I think that the BEST color scheme would be grey concrete ties on BROWN ballast.

I thought the same untill i saw the alpine tracks in Austria. Spotless gray ballast with old wooden and new concrete ties. The trick is regular maintenance, disk brakes and lots of rain.

Japan is pretty much the same, so you can get the newly ballasted look with the gray tracks, then add as much of rust and dust as you want. You can't make the brown ballast look brand new but you can make the new gray ballast look old and brown easily.

For the numbers, we have: old brown ballast and wood ties, gray ballast and wooden ties, gray ballast and concrete ties, gray ballast and synthetic ties, slab tracks, concrete/road surface tracks, cobblestone tracks, grass tracks, etc. Not all sizes are available in all types, but many are and it's possible to combine them all in somewhat surprising ways. For example the 33 mm tram track piece is usable as a road crossing for the moving bus system with a 45 or 90 degree crossing angle. Or the same tram tracks are usable for a paved container yard or other industrial area.

Two questions about Tomix Fine Track turnouts. 

First. What are these little double short tie tabs that come joined to the turnout?

Second. I realize these can't be completely incorporated into a Tram system. But does anyone know of an example of these having been at least partly converted to a tram track look?

68tVZew.jpg?1

The center piece breaks off and can be inserted to the turnout (just to the left in your photo) and the little black pieces in the package will create a manual turnout throw.  I don't use these myself.

48 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Second. I realize these can't be completely incorporated into a Tram system. But does anyone know of an example of these having been at least partly converted to a tram track look?

You can buy the Tomix 3076 track covers which will give you something like this photo.  There are still parts uncovered.

2008_0612Image0250.JPG

• Thanks 1