Kumamoto resident does crowdfunding to have a model railroad cafe to boost tourism to Misumi-cho

A Kumamoto resident, Sonoda Yuga, is doing a crowdfunding for a model railroad cafe to promote Misumi-cho, Kumamoto prefecture.

https://readyfor.jp/projects/115505

The town has had a decrease of commercial facilities due to population decline and many young people are leaving Misumi-cho.

The major reasons for this are that it takes one hour by train or car to get to Kumamoto city, and the increasing demand for tourism in Amakusa, where fishing and leisure activities are popular, has made Misumi a town that people pass through but never visit.

In addition, more and more people are leaving town each year because it is too far to go to the city to go to school or find a job.

Misumi-cho is a very attractive town facing the beautiful sea and nature. In addition, there is a public wharf in front of Misumi Station where large merchant ships dock. There is also the Amakusa Misumi Line , which celebrated its 124th anniversary this year , and Misumi West Port, a World Heritage site .

The JR Kyushu Amakusa Misumi Line operates regular trains and limited express trains ( Let's take the A train ) on holidays, and many people visit for sightseeing on holidays.

Therefore, the young resident focused on tourism , and wanted to open a model railroad café to create a space where people visiting Misumi-cho on holidays could easily stop by and convey the charm of Misumi-cho.

A member of the city council in Misumicho made a comment, “I want young people to use the vacant houses in Misumi, and even if it’s just for the weekend, I want them to open a shop and liven things up like the Misumi town of old.”

According to the resident, "With just one word, I wondered if there was anything I could do. From that day on, I wondered if there was a business that I could do to liven up the area.  There is a triangular line, and a limited express train runs on weekends. From those who like railways to those who like touring local areas, we combine the perspectives of both, making model railroads a tool that can be enjoyed by a wide range of people, from children to adults. So, I thought, what about a model railroad cafe"".

"Everyone from children to adults can enjoy it ! I think this is a big attraction.  The finely crafted miniature world fascinates many people. More than 10 types of various vehicles from Kyushu are scheduled to run in the store, mainly vehicles on the triangle line.  We plan to prepare a rental layout for enthusiasts , so that even the general public can enjoy driving the vehicle".

A diorama of a triangular town that imagines the past and the future . You can see a miniature view of Misumicho that is different from today, such as the scenery in front of the station and the trains that cannot be seen today.

"We are cooperating with Nikkyosha Model Shop, a long-established model shop in Kumamoto Prefecture. Even in Kumamoto, there is a large selection of model trains, and since the owner likes trains, there is a lively discussion about trains in the store".

★Schedule until opening★

Scheduled to start construction in July 2023 ~

October 2023: Scheduled completion of in-store construction

October 2023 Diorama production start

Diorama will be completed in February 2024

Scheduled to open in March 2024

★Use of collected funds★

Renovation work in the store 480,600 yen

Interior purchase 100,000 yen

In-store equipment cost (diorama) 700,000 yen

Product development ¥50,000

Ancillary equipment 170,000 yen