Photographers you follow

Alfie Goodrich is a Brit who escaped to Japan, and a professional photographer. He posts his work on Twitter and it's a good place to see some street photography:

Given everything that I saw back in September for 15 days in Japan, it's amazing, and a bit of nostalgic somewhat, to see these pictures of the older sections of the Tokyo subway.  I would have guessed that these don't exist and have teem renovated by now.

• Like 1
On 2/21/2024 at 2:25 PM, Kingmeow said:

Given everything that I saw back in September for 15 days in Japan, it's amazing, and a bit of nostalgic somewhat, to see these pictures of the older sections of the Tokyo subway.  I would have guessed that these don't exist and have teem renovated by now.

Yes, I'm surprised it's still there. I "discovered" it by accident about 20 years ago.

On the one hand, Japan loves to tear things down and rebuild them when they aren't working or they get old. On the other, you find these ancient shops and businesses that will probably be there until the owner retires or passes away. I wonder if they get much business, or if the rents are just negligible.

That said, last time I was in Ginza I found a little café and got breakfast. It was incredibly cheap... I think 450 yen for nice coffee and cake if I remember right. No idea how long it had been there, but it seemed fairly modern. I wonder if it was just cheap, or if the price hadn't increased for decades.