TBS news visits COMTRAC mainframe room- Tokaido Shinkansen report

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

First time for a TV station to visit the normally off-limits mainframe that is the Tokaido Shinkansen COMTRAC sustem, which controls the routing of trains on the Tokaido Shinkansen.  The system will be upgraded this October to the latest generation, which will handle schedule disruptions more quickly, especially at terminal stations (namely Tokyo Station).

(COMTRAC segment is up to about 5:30 in the clip):

JR Tokai news release (pdf in Japanese) includes diagrams seen in the TV news report:

https://jr-central.co.jp/news/release/_pdf/000036204.pdf

• Like 3

I missed your post but YouTube gave me this video as a recommendation.  Ah, the intense drone of server fans at :45, and the blurred view throughout.  From an IT point of view, I would certainly be interested to know how they do these deployments.

The illustration showing what appear to be independent services on independent systems certainly seems like a good idea.  Although it seems to me that crew, rolling stock, schedule, actual operating conditions, and transportation (if I'm interpreting those last two correctly), are all so interrelated that it's going to be difficult to move trains if you're missing any once piece.  I wonder how they've handled that.

From a railway point of view, the comparison of 1964 and current schedule diagrams around 2:15 is pretty impressive.  I also wonder what kind of tie-in there is with JR West, who is doing this for the Sanyo section, correct?  If JRC has this new shiny software and JRW is controlling their railroad with a $600 laptop, how does that work out?