Tomix 90095 DF200 100

Mr Quint

Hi I am looking at this set on Amazon JP and its £69 delivered to the UK. I was always taught when somethings too good to be true it usually is so I did some digging. There are two red flags I think I found. First is the controller is speed restricted. Second it only runs on 100 volts. 

The first issue doesn't bother me but 100 volts requires a step down converter. I wonder if anyone can confirm it's really 100 volts as that same looking Tomix controller is in other sets, like the 313 set which I have seen on YouTube running with a standard cheap UK plug adaptor at 240 volts. 

Thanks

Hey,

Welcome to the Forum! To answer your questions, the included Tomix FG-17 controler only spits out a maximum of 9V, meaning that whatever you feed with it will not run max speed (being defined by 12V max power consumption of the trains). So yes, you could say its "speed restricted". Also yes, the included Power Supply will only take 100V. But its a base 12V 800mA power supply you could replace with whatever you have lying around.

The Set itself was relased in 2017 and has since then been discontinued. Release price was 11.000 Yen back then, sold on HobbySearch for example at 9.500 yen. So your price is not too far off, if you dont mind the age.

I sadly dont own an FG-17 myself, so if anyone could share specifics on the Power Supply that probably would be golden.

Yours

Stephan

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wolf said:

To answer your questions, the included Tomix FG-17 controler only spits out a maximum of 9V, meaning that whatever you feed with it will not run max speed (being defined by 12V max power consumption of the trains). So yes, you could say its "speed restricted". Also yes, the included Power Supply will only take 100V. But its a base 12V 800mA power supply you could replace with whatever you have lying around.

The FG17 power pack output is rated as 0-8V DC (non-PWM) at 300mA max. It uses some kind of standard power connector so you can replace it with a random universal 12V power brick (plus is inside the connector), however all the modern Tomix power bricks, including FG17, are universal 100-240V 50/60Hz so you can run them (with an adapter, like in third photo) practically anywhere.

image.thumb.png.0a780faf866947e40f9dfccf199bc2bc.png image.thumb.png.6154153a59a738c93e601fdafef2ee6f.png image.thumb.png.4b0d553a42f18a2e8a2ad1938f79176a.png

Edited by katem
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Wolf said:

The Set itself was relased in 2017 and has since then been discontinued. Release price was 11.000 Yen back then, sold on HobbySearch for example at 9.500 yen. So your price is not too far off, if you dont mind the age.

2017 is young for Japanese models. Only seven years of age. That's like yesterday.

8 hours ago, Mr Quint said:

I am looking at this set on Amazon JP and its £69 delivered to the UK. I was always taught when some things too good to be true it usually is so I did some digging.

Price is correct, the set only contains the minimum necessary: one locomotive, one wagon, three containers, two straights, eight curves. It's a product aimed at young beginners, an introduction set of somesort. As @katem, you should be able to swap the adapter for one fitting your electrical network.

Otherwise, look at more consequent starter sets. Both Tomix and Kato have some, they should be around 16000 jpy before shipping and import duties. You might also want to consider that Finetrack is not readily available outside of Japan and always need to be imported, whereas Unitrack can be found about anywhere. Though I personally prefer Finetrack.

• Like 1

I own this set and I can tell you that the price that Amazon Japan has for this set and the other at both for around Y5500 ($40 US dollars) is way generous and worth it just for the vehicles and cargo alone.  Tracks are just extras I keep and as for the power controller, because it's a beginner's set, it's capped.  But it's adequate for freight and trams. 

There are other sets to get a better power controller and better trains, but I'm going to be perfectly honest, the DF200 and the ED61 are both worth it at that low price alone. The set is made for beginners defintely! But for the price alone, the price justifies the freight trains alone. 

And to this day, these two trains are still in rotation, as they have become my beater trains that I do a lot of test runs to the point that I put it through many of my diorama layout tests that busted up the couplers and even the pantagraph.  Again, for the price, I'm tempted of getting another one of each just for the trains alone.

Edited by kndy
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the info guys. It was all really helpful and this is a very friendly community.

I have decided to buy the 90095 set. I love the look of the loco and it fits my bill as a dip of the toe in n gauge. If it all works out well I plan to buy the 90097 set for extension. I am not looking for a prototypical layout, just some cool trains to play with so I won't mind mixing UK or US locos later on. It's amazing you can get both these starter sets delivered to the UK and combined they are still £70 cheaper than a UK set.

I love Japanese railways so may just stick to buying from Amazon Japan. I do fancy the 5 car blue train set at some point, love the look of that loco