(Steam) Train Engineer Experience

Yugamu Tsuki

The IL Rail Museum has several different "Take the Throttle" experiences. I have been trying for years to get one of the rare slots for a steam train but finally managed to snag one. June cannot come soon enough.

I wonder is anyone else has gotten a chance to run trains before at museums.

• Like 3

Well, actually, I've only ever driven one steam locomotive before. As a member of the Tramway Historical Society, I have driven our Kitson steam-tram engine on a 'have a go' day in 2016. That, and I've had a steer of a Burrell steam tractor (light traction engine) last year at Queens Birthday Weekend during the 2022 FRONZ Conference.

I'm also an electric tram driver at Ferrymead, and as we're right next door to the Canterbury Railway Society, some of our members (including myself) are members of both groups. One happens to be involved with the CRS' Electric Traction Group, and in June 2021 he let me have a drive under his tutelage of the railway's 1923 English Electric Eo-class B+B electric locomotive, seen here on the day it happened:

IMG_4995.thumb.JPG.0a6e201da18f2d66a8b6210f74c9d0b2.JPG

I was the duty tram driver that day, and Mike was kind enough to give me a drive over the kilometre or so of electrified track at Ferrymead, following part of what was our first locomotive-operated railway in New Zealand. The controls on these are very similar to tram controls, and thanks to a handy isolating valve in the cab, Mike could cut the train brake function out for straight air brake functionality (I've only ever had straight air training on the trams). It was an experience and a half!

Alastair

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Yugamu Tsuki said:

I wonder is anyone else has gotten a chance to run trains before at museums.

Its a fairly  common fund raiser at various museums.

Seaton Tramway (UK)

https://www.tram.co.uk/events/view/drive-a-tram

Seashore Trolley Museum

https://trolleymuseum.org/visit/be-a-motorman-program/

Nevada Northern Railway                Be the Engineer - Your Hand on the Throttle

https://nnry.com/pages/engineer.php

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1
Yugamu Tsuki

Good to know there are many places you can do this one. I'll need to keep my eye open for the various museums.

It's fun driving simulators but it's going to be a completely different beast to run one true.

• Like 1

Well, not steam, but back in 2019 I had a driver experience day on a Class 104 DMU at the Llangollen Railway. They pretty much stick you in the seat with an instructor hovering.

The unit they have (one of a few 1950s railcar sets on the line) is a power twin, so two 150bhp Leyland engines under each car, driving the inner axles of both bogies via a four speed epicyclic gearbox and fluid flywheel. You engage 1st just as you release the brakes then notch up as you feel it move. Once the revs come up you shut off power, pause, then click the big selector handle for 2nd, give it a chance to release one brake band and engage the next then slowly open the throttle again. Thanks to minimal silencing it blows raspberries at WOT, and getting up to 25mph line speed does not take long!

(Not me driving or filming, but this is the unit).

• Like 1
Yugamu Tsuki

That was certainly an experience. I was expecting it was going to be running light but I had a full tender and three passenger cars attached!

I was able to drive about 5 miles down the track (over some crossings so the whistle was a go!), stopped, and drove backwards to the station through some sidings and crossed paths with a different train on the track. After I was uncoupled back at the station I turned around at some Y-switches and stopped at some of the difference maintenance points to get it cleaned up/set-up for putting away.

3.jpg.94b4379dcf0d18eaee95590cbf434f7a.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 3

Wow! Bet hat was awesome sauce! How much training did they give you before putting you in the cab?

maybe we need a “what prototype did you run today?” topic! 😜

jeff

• Like 2
Yugamu Tsuki

I stood behind the engineer (and tried not to get in the fireman's way) for the last run of the night and he explained it so about 45 mins watching, and then we switched positions with him advising me when needed. Normally they don't have the volunteer do any of the maintenance work but he felt comfortable enough with how I handled it that he let my experience continue far longer than it was booked for.

It was a lot hotter in the cab than i expected and my right side got a nice tan from sitting in the window. I was covered in soot and sweat but it was one of the best thing's I've ever done.

• Like 5