Tomix Switch Power

ATShinkansen

So I just ordered switch machines and control switch switches for the Tomix turnouts in my yard.  I don’t know yet how Tomix’s switch controllers are powered (i.e.; do they connect to a Tomix power pack the same way Kato’s does?), but does Tomix make a converter much like Kato’s 24-842 DC Converter?

ATShinkansen

New problem:  so when the 5500 Converter first arrived, it operated just fine off my power source (a Walthers 12v DC power supply).  However, I connected it up again tonight, and it stopped working.  The Kato converter still operates just fine off the same power source.  Information about the Tomix 5500 is hard to find, as is the product itself.  Is Tomix circuitry more sensitive than Kato’s?  I’m hoping I didn’t hook it up wrong and burn it out!

As far as I know, the Kato and Tomix converters simply rectify AC power (traditionally used for "accessories" in U.S. model railroading) to DC power. Unlike traditional U.S. "snap switches," Tomix and Kato turnouts require DC power. So I don't see why you need a converter at all from a DC power supply, except to transition to Kato or Tomix connectors.

Any chance you hooked up the Tomix converter to the Walthers DC supply with the wrong polarity the second time? Trying to "rectify" negative DC into positive DC through the converter will not work. Swap the the converter's bare wire leads around at the Walthers supply and see if that fixes things.

Rich K.

Edited by brill27mcb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
ATShinkansen

Sure enough, that fixed it!  Those particular wires are not color-coded, I’ll need to do something about that.

66C939D5-F982-4F5D-8DC8-2D3F0E5F5D64.thumb.jpeg.6ff579b44bdec1cec471a1227b7add1d.jpeg