HO scale SL token exchange

shadowtiger25

shadowtiger25
10 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Nice. The vise of HO scale where you can attempt thing like this!

cheers,

jeff

I mean I really would do that on an HO scale layout though.

But that's aslo because I'm insane.

However I really know nothing about the token exchange 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, shadowtiger25 said:

However I really know nothing about the token exchange 

Tokens are a way to rule who gets in a section of single track. To enter the single track the engineer has to have the physics token (usually a loop of rope). They pick the token up (usually handed to them or dangling on a pole track side) as they enter the single track section and then when they are leaving the controlled section they drop it off on a trackside stand like above or had it to a station master on the platform. Simple physical way to keep two trains from occupying the same track.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Token_(railway_signalling)

jeff

• Like 2
shadowtiger25
1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

Tokens are a way to rule who gets in a section of single track. To enter the single track the engineer has to have the physics token (usually a loop of rope). They pick the token up (usually handed to them or dangling on a pole track side) as they enter the single track section and then when they are leaving the controlled section they drop it off on a trackside stand like above or had it to a station master on the platform. Simple physical way to keep two trains from occupying the same track.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Token_(railway_signalling)

jeff

Oh! Ok that's interesting. I've seen some videos showing that pick up and drop off at speed. But that makes sense. 

Best way to know for sure is to just not have that token at the check points I guess. Will definitely read this article when I get home today 

11 hours ago, cteno4 said:

To enter the single track the engineer has to have the physics token (usually a loop of rope).

Not quite a loop of rope, Jeff. 😉 What you're mainly seeing is the "sling" that is used to carry the token. It's made of cane or bamboo, and has a leather pouch that holds the token. On most Japanese lines that used token block working the actual token was a metal tablet, which is illustrated on the wiki page you linked. Not as common there, but very common elsewhere on the world, the token was a metal rod known as a "staff".

My railway made extensive use of token working in a number of forms. The basic system was ordinary train staff, but we also used staff and ticket, electric staff, miniature electric staff and pilot staff. Over the course of my career I've worked with all these systems, and got great satisfaction from mastering them. Our South Coast line was the last place where electric staff was used on the Sydney Trains passenger network, finally being withdrawn in 2014. This webpage tells the story well - and most of the blokes interviewed I know or have worked with. 👍

https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/system/files/media/documents/2017/201503-End-of-the-Line-Report.pdf

The only token systems not mentioned are two we occasionally still use during trackwork or possessions. One is pilot staff, used during planned single line working on double lines when the normal signalling and safeworking systems are not available. The other is half-pilot staff, which is part of the signalling systemon bi-directional double lines, and only used when things have gone pear-shaped! 

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 3