Painted Trains 2

bc6

Thomas land train arrived today and its a splendid paint job! forgot to order the motor, wheels and pantograph the other day with last hw order but will have to soon as this is going to be a nice looking little train. just have to make a directional light board for it and some leds!

cheers

jeff

Krackel Hopper

I received my Thomasland train a few days ago.  I am VERY impressed!  This is the first Tomytec train collection item I have purchased.  Seeing the quality of this train - I am really kicking myself for not buying the train collection Vol. 11 from HobbySearch while they had it in their bargain bin for $35.  I really want the 2-car Fuji train in Vol. 11..

Seeing the detail on this, I am looking forward to the Tama and Ichigo trains this October! (already on pre-order)

Jeff - I would be very interested to see how you install directional lighting.  I would love to do such an install for these Tomytec trains.  I have yet to try such a thing though. 

On a side note..

I know nothing about this train - however - I really wish someone would release this thing!

jissya_kiha40haba4.jpg

This just showed up as a restock at HS. It's not a "train", but an example of a rather distinctively painted DE10 locomotive, apparently used at a factory in Western Japan in the 1990s.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10076016

a bit of googling around didn't turn up anything else. It's outside my modeling focus (Tokyo and environs), but I must say that I find it rather interesting anyway.

I received my Thomasland train a few days ago.  I am VERY impressed!  This is the first Tomytec train collection item I have purchased.  Seeing the quality of this train - I am really kicking myself for not buying the train collection Vol. 11 from HobbySearch while they had it in their bargain bin for $35.  I really want the 2-car Fuji train in Vol. 11..

Seeing the detail on this, I am looking forward to the Tama and Ichigo trains this October! (already on pre-order)

Jeff - I would be very interested to see how you install directional lighting.  I would love to do such an install for these Tomytec trains.  I have yet to try such a thing though. 

On a side note..

I know nothing about this train - however - I really wish someone would release this thing!

jissya_kiha40haba4.jpg

Krackle,

ive been impressed by the tomy trains once tricked out with the real parts. i also have the older Choshi Momotetsu painted (wrapping) train from the tomy line and love it. only thing is after a few of these then you want to get a case to put them all in! soon the tama and strawberry trains coming as well! the casting is a tad pudgier than a modemo, but at a foot or two away they that disappears and its a good 30-40% cheaper!

have not yet done directional lighting for them. was thinking of a hunk of clear plastic across between the lights on either side and a led in the middle and then painting it all black and drilling out the light holes. definitely something for the future.

btw be careful of the pho couplers they come off very easily. i must have good karma as when it first came off i didnt notice it but found the tiny coupler on a piece of paper and figure out where it must have come from! the casing was still on the frame, it had just separated enough to let the coupler fall out! these things are all pressure fit so come apart easily...

cheers

jeff

This just showed up as a restock at HS. It's not a "train", but an example of a rather distinctively painted DE10 locomotive, apparently used at a factory in Western Japan in the 1990s.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10076016

a bit of googling around didn't turn up anything else. It's outside my modeling focus (Tokyo and environs), but I must say that I find it rather interesting anyway.

Ken,

i got this went it came out, it is a very nice loco. i too could not find anything on it with the factory its used at or why the dolphin and morning glories would be significant together!

cheers

jeff

I don't know why it hasn't been mentioned here yet, but the king of all painted trains has been up for reservation for a while now:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10036965

This is a new issue of the Doraemon 781 (don't know what's different but Microace has used a new number). It's been sitting at the #1 seller spot for some time on HS. Expected to arrive in December.

yeah i keep seeing it there on HS #1 spot there for quite a while!

it is a fantastic train, one of my first and favorites and my first painted train. its always a big hit with the kids at shows, probably the most requested. one kid, probably 5yrs old, last year got mad that it was pull off for a rest (it had been running for like 2 hrs straight) that he hauled off and did a full arm swing at the rear of the train -- presumably to make it go. shot cars all over the layout, but none over the edge or damaged luckily!

cheers

jeff

Does anyone know the story of how Poo the sheep screen saver got selected to go on this train? it was very popular in japan so i guess that drove it, but still must be some story of how a screen saver character made it onto the train!

cheers

jeff

The latest in my painted train army: Modemo NT73

Thanks to acousticco!

P3300008.jpg

P3300006.jpg

Krackel Hopper

Does anyone know the story of how Poo the sheep screen saver got selected to go on this train? it was very popular in japan so i guess that drove it, but still must be some story of how a screen saver character made it onto the train!

cheers

jeff

RapitBunny and I discovered these sheep are from a 1994 Fuji TV short called "Stray Sheep"

http://tlq.nl/sheep/

There have since been movies, books, etc..

They appear to be identical to the Windows screen saver sheep.. I can only assume Microsoft cut some deal to use the Fuji TV characters.. but I don't know the details on that..

hey fun new train from Hanazono. static model of the hansin tiger train. quite fun tiger stripe train. nother fun one to power up with a tomytech mechanism.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10131821

they are also coming out with a series 9640 gomen-nahari line 20 station character painted train, not very exciting though as a painted train, just a little lightening bolt...

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10131823

due out in november

cheers