Project party 2023

Martijn Meerts

Martijn Meerts

Some years ago we did a few project parties. Basically just a small, friendly competition where people would make a little diorama, and other people would vote on their favourite entries. While this was fun, it did take quite a bit of time, and interest in them diminished over time.

However, we've had quite a few people join the forum since then, and quite a few of those new people seem to enjoy building small diorama's, and just generally scenes with a story. So, I would like to bring back the project party.

Before we start spending time on organising, I would like to hear if people would be interested in this at all. The projects would be small, at most the size of a standard T-Trak module, and it would be quite open ended. I would like there to be some element that people would need to add to their scene, but other than that people could do what they want, and make something they could eventually use as part of their layout.

Considering the number of donations we have received the past years, we also have some room to reward the top entries with a little prize. We currently have enough funds to keep the forum running for several years, and we would just like to give a little something back to the forum as well.

So, if enough people are interested, we'll start coming up with a couple of basic guidelines in the coming weeks.

Also, see https://jnsforum.com/community/forum/40-archived-project-parties/ for previous project parties.

• Like 5

If this is a thing, obviously joining with a T-Track module just for the sake of doing it ^^

Whats the expected timeframe from start to finish?

I would be very happy to participate, but my other half said: "no layout before we get a bigger apartment". Not sure I can convince her a module is small enough.

1 hour ago, disturbman said:

I would be very happy to participate, but my other half said: "no layout before we get a bigger apartment". Not sure I can convince her a module is small enough.

Have you tried showing her this layout before discussing the possibilities of fitting a layout into your apartment?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Martijn Meerts
On 1/16/2023 at 9:37 PM, Wolf said:

If this is a thing, obviously joining with a T-Track module just for the sake of doing it ^^

Whats the expected timeframe from start to finish?

Previous project parties were often somewhere around a month, so plenty time to build something. Not sure exactly when this would start, but hopefully sometime early spring, when the weather is still not quite good enough to do things other than model trains 🙂

18 hours ago, disturbman said:

Depends on the size of the module 😄 Also, it could just be a mini-diorama, or a drop in scene to eventually be used as part of a bigger module / layout.

On 1/16/2023 at 3:00 PM, Martijn Meerts said:

The projects would be small, at most the size of a standard T-Trak module 

OMG, that's huge ! I don't think I've ever built a layout that big 😧

If you could give us start/finish dates, I could see if my work load would allow me time to take part. 

I've been quiet on here of late as I'm building a 009 layout with my daughter. It's set in Wales hents no build blog on this forum. Work on Akita Mountain will resume in the spring. Maybe ?

• Like 2
nscalestation

I have done these types of things on another forum and they are fun.  I am in Japan now getting inspired to get out my modules to work on when I get back.  Also got an exhibit in April so may focus on finishing a particular scene or building.  It has been over three year since we have had something. Bottom line is yes, I would participate.

Martijn Meerts

Hey all!

Sorry for being quiet on this topic, life's been happening and I couldn't really concentrate on things / motivate myself in recent months.

I was hoping to be able to do this sometime this spring, but by now that's much too short notice. Summer is a terrible season for something like this, because people will generally be doing other things.

So, I'd like to try and get this going for late summer / early autumn. I will try to come up with some sort of guidelines so that people with not much time can still participate and compete with those who have lots of time.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Martijn Meerts

Hey all!

Quick update on this. I think I have a subject that could be interesting, and which even after doing this little project would fit well into a layout. Obviously I can't be giving a lot of detail just yet, otherwise people could already get started  🙂

What I can say, is that I would like to run this for 1 month (probably October), and the absolute maximum size of the entire project would be the size of a standard single straight T-Trak module with probably 250mm depth. There will be no minimum size however.

• Like 5
On 1/18/2023 at 12:47 PM, Tom C said:

I've been quiet on here of late as I'm building a 009 layout with my daughter. It's set in Wales hents no build blog on this forum. Work on Akita Mountain will resume in the spring. Maybe ?

We do have a section for non Japanese modeling...

Hi, 

I‘m really looking forward to this project party. Will it start still in october?

Sorry for my impatience. 

KR Markus

Martijn Meerts

Hi!

Sorry about the lack of info on this. I wasn't able to get things done to start in October (life continues to be challenging). I will make a dedicated post in a dedicated part of the forum for this soon. The project will start November 1st, and last the whole month of November.

I will also give some info on what to expect so people can do some preparations, but the actual subject itself I'll add on the 31st of October.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2