Tokaido shinkansen power failure disrupts operations

JR 500系

Happened today, power failure between Toyohashi station and Nagoya station, causing all trains to be halted from Tokyo To Shin Osaka. Services were resumed from 530pm Japan time. i wondered what happened for such a large scale operational failure... 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

i wondered what happened for such a large scale operational failure... 

Some sort of breakage in the overhead wiring; I haven't heard anything about a possible cause yet.

• Like 1

A break in the catenary/messenger wire, the upper wire that is connected to the contact wire that the pantograph actually slides on.  Why the break occurred is TBD. A similar break occurred in 2010 on the Tokaido Shinkansen in Kanagawa Prefecture, the cause being a faultily repaired pantograph, a loose part of which cut an auxiliary wire (the vertical wire between the contact and messenger wire.)

I was riding the subway in downtown Nagoya yesterday when this happened and noticed the announcements about it in the stations. Was wondering what happened, that must have been quite chaotic at Tokyo Station if the service was suspended all afternoon.

More updates and videos, it seems the passengers aboard the shinkansen during the stop was facing even more issues. The aircon was not working, hence it is SUPER hot and humid,, plus there seems to be in sufficient water in the on baord toilet as well..

I wonder if the 700S sets went to the train stations on battery power? And what the difference was between stranded 700S sets and other sets? (e.g. normal aircon operation on 700S sets?)