Track plan, 1st attempt

Lawrence

Like you thoughts on this please, this will be a small rural station scenario, with a few shops and houses dotted around.  Baseboard is 48" x 12", the rearmost few inches will be free for housing, shops, offices etc.

The black block is the station and there will be various sheds dotted around, please feel free to suggest improvements.

JAPAN.jpg

For the Japanese speakers amongst you, please feel free to suggest a name for this layout, preferably one which is indicitive of it's rural and village like scale

What kind of trains are you going to run on it? EMU or DMU? And what are the functions of the sidings (apart from the platform-bays and the shed)? Looks like a 3-car maximum is allowed on the station.

Also, a name can be decided on the location of the station; seaside, mountains, hills, plains, riverside, harbour, etc.

The track plan doesn't seem realistic to me. The turnouts are laid very inefficient. With the use of double slip crossings and/or double crossovers less track length is wasted for turnouts. At the same time more routes are available for operation.

As for a double track railway most rural stations have side platform and an overpass, not an island platform.

The track plan doesn't seem realistic to me. The turnouts are laid very inefficient. With the use of double slip crossings and/or double crossovers less track length is wasted for turnouts. At the same time more routes are available for operation.

As for a double track railway most rural stations have side platform and an overpass, not an island platform.

I fully understand where you are coming from on the track side of things, but I already have track from an old layout that I wish to re-use (and I am on a budget so double crossovers are out!), tho I may look into double slips  :icon_thumright:

As for the station, well yet again I already have the station kit, it is the Greenmax one with the underpass in the centre of the platform (No.15?)

I got my ideas from a layout by Mike Fischer (he has a great trackplan website)

Toni - it is going to be 2 car DMU's and some freight shunting (this is where railzillas double slips might come in  :grin)

Mudkip - you're going to have to translate that one  ???:cheesy :cheesy

Thanks for the ideas folks, please keep them coming

If the sidings at the front are an industry there would be an excuse for a small shunting loco, maybe stabled in a small shed on the short siding at the left. A lot of rail served industries in Japan, even rather small ones, have their own loco to place wagons as needed, with JR just dropping them off and picking them up from a connecting siding.

Are there going to be fiddle yards or loops at either end to allow trains to run through on the mainline?

No loops or fiddle yards I'm afraid, due to a complete lack of space this is pretty much all I am going to be able to play with for now.  I may be able to extend it by 2 feet (maybe).  It is all a bit of an experiment really, I don't really have a huge interest in Shinkansens ( :violent1:) but I do like the little DMU's and the diesel shunters, I need to get this first little project on the move before I decide whether or not I want to go into Japanese modelling on a bigger scale in the future.

My Hobbysearch package is currently residing in Coventry customs at the moment, so hopefully I can make a start soon (ish)