Finished Odakyu 2000 series Greenmax Economy Kit

shazzner

Today I finished my little project I had been working on and off for the past three weeks. It's the Greenmax no. 447A & 447B `Odakyu Type 2000 Standard Four Car Formation Set`.

I like these kits are they are somewhat fun to put together and paint, although they can leave you feeling very frustrated at times because of some tiny details that can be missed. It's also fun to create your own liveries or even an entirely fictional railway company. This time I stuck to the plan.

Unfortunately I made a number of minor/major errors, as usual, the biggest being putting a 1000 series side on the last car so the window piece wouldn't work...

Does anyone else enjoy these kits?

PXL_20221203_233510608~2.jpg

PXL_20221204_000712292~2.jpg

• Like 6

WOW thanks for sharing this and welcome to the forums! 

Your skills are great! Have these kits been motorised? I actually wanna try one or two of these kits especially when the models are not offered as ready to run models, but i reckon my modelling skills can bring the kit to fruitation... I see that you have done pretty well putting together that 2000 series! 

6 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

WOW thanks for sharing this and welcome to the forums! 

Your skills are great! Have these kits been motorised? I actually wanna try one or two of these kits especially when the models are not offered as ready to run models, but i reckon my modelling skills can bring the kit to fruitation... I see that you have done pretty well putting together that 2000 series! 

Thanks!

And yep they use a power unit that replaces the under carriage for one of the cars. Unfortunately these power units cost just about as much as the kit itself. I also haven't figured out an easy to convert to DCC or add things like internal lights (though I have some ideas I'd like to experiment with).

GM RTR trains uses Tomix type lights, though you need to tape them to the top of the shell, GM also sells wheelsets with current collectors and some directional lighting kits. I don't remember if the trains kits come with copper/white metal bars for power conduction.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, disturbman said:

GM RTR trains uses Tomix type lights, though you need to tape them to the top of the shell, GM also sells wheelsets with current collectors and some directional lighting kits. I don't remember if the trains kits come with copper/white metal bars for power conduction.

Only the 'high quality' kits do, which unfortunately only comes in sets from what I've seen.

Shazzner,

years ago I built one of the kits, think it was a 2 or 3 car set to just see how well they went together and looked like with a coat of primer on it. I agree few missing details and seemed to a bit pudgier moulds than the RTR greenmax. They did seem to assemble well. But I had no burning desire for any of them to take the time to build and paint, too many other projects!

if you can, document your dcc efforts on the greenmax chassis, always good to see what folks come up with.

jeff

• Like 1