Working traffic lights

Johnstrams

John,

there are a lot of pretty simple timer chip circuits out there that will do the usual light sequence, some for both directions of an intersection. I’ve seen a few circuits that supply a pc board file so you could have a few made and solder them up otherwise the simpler ones I remember could be done on a pc soldered breadboard. Usually just change resistors to change timing of the lights on/off.

better solution would probably be to use a ardunio nano board as it can control a number of leds and a simple program to sequence them for 4 signals at an intersection. Basically you can wire the red of one perpendicular lane to the greens of the other and vis versa as when red one way it’s green the other and then just a shot yellow in between, so only need 4 outputs.

don’t know if I’ve seen a commercial box to do this, but I would expect someone might have done one at some point. Digging around in arduino shows a lot of these.

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/Lucky_G/intersection-with-traffic-lights-9b716d

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff thanks for your reply , I think I have found a solution if I buy The BLOCKsignalling TLC2A Traffic Light Controller that has been designed for railway modellers to make it very quick and easy to add traffic light signals to their layouts. I will use 0402 LEDs that should fit the Kato dummy traffic lights but will need to remount them unto tubing to hide the wires etc.

Could make an interesting project over the Christmas holidays.

John 

• Like 2

John,

this looks great and decent priced. Looks like simple pic controller. These can be perfect for these sort of repeat things and have a few programmed settings. Shipping to us is quite good, I may need to get one to mess around with! 

cheers

jeff

• Like 1