English Language Publications on Japanese Rail

Another English language resource is the long running JAPAN | Urban Transport Compilation on Skyscraper City. Currently on page 393. Much new rolling stock and above grounding projects covered here.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/japan-urban-transport-compilation.828904/page-392

There is also a Japan Railways thread with 131 pages.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/japan-railways.484031/page-131

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3
On 5/11/2019 at 1:12 PM, cteno4 said:

Japanese Railway Society —  http://www.japaneserailwaysociety.com/

If you don't mind me saying this here, it might be notable that the JRS is in fact the de facto largest English-language body and only regularly published (quarterly) English magazine, "The Bullet-In", dedicated to all things related to Japanese railways in the world. I'm a member and writer myself, of course, and any member can also take the liberty of publishing their photos and writing articles about their own Japanese model railways in it, also. 

• Like 1
On 5/11/2019 at 1:12 PM, cteno4 said:

Japan - steam in colour : Vapeur au Japon = Japan - Dampflok in Farbe by Frank Stenvall, ed.

Published by Franks Stenvalls Forlag (1980), Malmo, 1980

ISBN 10: 9172660503 / ISBN 13: 9789172660502

Full color crisp photos of steam railroads in Japan. With maps and list of preserved steam locomotives by prefecture. Captions are in English, French, and German. 112 pages.

I could really use a copy of this.

Check your used booksellers in japan. Sadly first class shipping us>japan goes from $15 for 15oz to $30 for 16oz and unfortunately it looks like the book weights in at just about 16oz…

might also try amazon.co.uk as several used ones there and one may ship to japan reasonably (uk post has some oddly cheap international shipping in some cases).

jeff

• Like 2
3 hours ago, SL58654号 said:

If you don't mind me saying this here, it might be notable that the JRS is in fact the de facto largest English-language body and only regularly published (quarterly) English magazine, "The Bullet-In", dedicated to all things related to Japanese railways in the world. I'm a member and writer myself, of course, and any member can also take the liberty of publishing their photos and writing articles about their own Japanese model railways in it, also. 

Thanks updated. We rely on members providing info like this for these kinds of lists and a member acting as the updater/coordinator of the list (I’ve been coordinating this one).

also anyone finding dead links on any of these kinds of list topics, please pm the member coordinating it (person who did the original post in the topic) or post the broken link in the topic and any correction you might have found.

thanks

jeff

• Like 1
SL58654号
On 11/27/2023 at 6:49 PM, beakaboy said:

secondhand book I picked up on our recent trip to Australia. Great condition and excellent photos with english text.

20231119_101842.jpg

I've had multiple train books before, but this was the one that started it all for me: My love of Japan and its railways, my venturing to there, and eventually my construction of a Japanese layout as a tribute to the age of steam in Japan. It is great, isn't it? 

• Like 2

Something I have not seen listed here is the Japan National Railway booklet from 1960.  76 pages, softcover.  From the last page: AR: Nippon Kobo Co., Ltd.; PR: Toppan Printing, Co., Ltd., no other publishing info, ie ISBN number.  Lots of B&W photos and 3 large (over 2 pages) colour photos.  Only 3 of the photos include steam locomotives, and only in the background.  Purchased at a used book store in Sidney, BC Canada for $15 CDN a few of years ago.

JNR 1960 Book.jpg

JNR 1960 Book ToC.jpg

• Like 3

Interesting, I could not find it anywhere. Sounds like a booklet they printed up. Fun find!

good thing is I stumbled on a few other English books on jnr breakup to add!

jeff