B Train Shorty Power Unit 5 motor replacement?

Dinosbacsi

Hey guys,

I assume this question might have popped up in the past at some point, but with a quick search I couldn't find anything yet.

Long story short, the motor in one of my B Train Shorty motorized chassis has died, it looks like. It was running all fine when in one moment it slowed down and after a few seconds it completely stopped. Nudging didn't help, no humming or any sound coming from it, completely dead. Obviously I took it apart, tried cleaning all parts, no luck. Tried the bogeys from it inside a different power unit, it worked fine (so the wheels and the bogeys are ok, not like much could be broken inside them, lol).

I've been given the tip that standalone generic electric motors can be bought online that may could fit the chassis. So does anyone know of any dual shaft motor that has different characteristics, size, etc?

Yes, it unfortunately sounds like your motor died. The only way forward is to measure your motor and try to find something equivalent 3, 5-pole or coreless motor on Alibaba or eBay.

You could watch a few of Sam'sTrains' videos, from its Salvage or Scrap series or from his Model Maintenance playlist. He does OO gauge but the same would apply to you, and Salvage or Scrap is quite entertaining, https://www.youtube.com/c/SamsTrains/playlists.

• Like 1

Just try to feed power to the motor contacts directly, if the motor doesn't do anything you could try taking it apart as well and clean the commutator and brushes. If it's still silent afterwards you'd need a new motor.

7 hours ago, disturbman said:

The only way forward is to measure your motor and try to find something equivalent 3, 5-pole or coreless motor on Alibaba or eBay.

I don't know much about these motors. As for the size, it's pretty straight forward, but is there a voltage or any other parameter I need to look out for?

1 hour ago, roadstar_na6 said:

Just try to feed power to the motor contacts directly, if the motor doesn't do anything you could try taking it apart as well and clean the commutator and brushes. If it's still silent afterwards you'd need a new motor.

I didn't see any screws on the motor itself. Are these held together by glue or something? Should I just try prying it open if I see a gap on it?

On 11/16/2022 at 4:48 PM, Dinosbacsi said:

As for the size, it's pretty straight forward, but is there a voltage or any other parameter I need to look out for?

Usually N-scale motors are rated for 12V, but some older controllers were rated 15V, like HO controllers.

On 11/16/2022 at 4:48 PM, Dinosbacsi said:

I didn't see any screws on the motor itself. Are these held together by glue or something? Should I just try prying it open if I see a gap on it?

You mean the motor encasing? Do you have a picture?

I definitely recommend that you watch some of the videos I recommended before doing anything. 

On 11/17/2022 at 5:53 PM, disturbman said:

You mean the motor encasing? Do you have a picture?

Yeah, the motor looks like this when taken out of the chassis. It could be removed from the black frame as well, but I didn't yet, as the wire on the side goes around it and it's soldered onto the motor and I didn't want to rip it off. But if I were to take it out of the black frame, maybe I could open the motor itself as well. One of the sides is black plastic, so I think that can be taken off the rest of the metal casing.

yVBFx5A.jpg