JR Pass (2022+)

chadbag

I was looking for a separate JR Pass topic that covers the most recent developments and did not find anything stand alone. If I missed it this can be moved there. 

In looking it appears now you can order your “exchange order” directly online from the JR Pass office (or whoever is running the official site).  But it also appears you can still buy them through the authorized outlets like before.  But it appears that to book online you have to buy from the JR Pass site and not an authorized seller.   Does this match the experience of people ?

When you say “book online” you mean make seat reservations online?  Then that’s correct.  Buying a pass from an authorized agent doesn’t allow for online reservations. Which may or may not be a big deal. 

Edited by Bob Martin
15 hours ago, Bob Martin said:

When you say “book online” you mean make seat reservations online?  Then that’s correct.  Buying a pass from an authorized agent doesn’t allow for online reservations. Which may or may not be a big deal. 

yes that is what I meant.   I may be able to get a couple passes through a program I am in and have points in -- if I can get them then I have no control over where they get bought.  Otherwise, looking at the current exchange rate, there doesn't seem to be that big of a price different buying from the JR pass website vs an authorized agent.  I may just buy that way and pay the extra few dollars per pass for the convenience (or what I assume is a convenience).

Thanks @Bob Martin for the reply.

I was reading the online JR Rail Pass site and it talks about the (new) reservation machines.  I did not see what to do if you are traveling in a group -- does each person have to try and make their own reservation or can one person do it for the whole group?  If not, it sounds like we can still stand in line at the ticket window and have them make the reservations for us as we used to do.

It's for single bookings. So going to the office is probably easier for groups.

Otherwise you just do singular bookings for each person while hoping that no one books the seats next to you.

• Like 1

You can use the machine for multiple pass persons. Ticket machine asks how many people after you’ve selected the “rail pass” button. So you’ll have to scan QR and enter passport number for each person.

Edited by Bob Martin
17 hours ago, Bob Martin said:

You can use the machine for multiple pass persons. Ticket machine asks how many people after you’ve selected the “rail pass” button. So you’ll have to scan QR and enter passport number for each person.

OK thanks.  I appreciate you humoring all my questions 🙂

I think I'd rather just stand in line and talk to the ticket counter people than take out and scan Qr codes, get out passports and type in long numbers.  But at least you only have to find and select the train once so that makes it less painful than they otherwise could have made it.

I ordered our passes yesterday from Japan Experience.   I looked at the costs through the official online place an dit was much more expensive as they charge a lot extra to buy them directly online (or in Japan until 2023 some time).

Edited by chadbag

I hear it's possible to buy directly in Japan paying 1000 yen extra. What is totally necessary is to modernize the system and make the JR Pass integrated in an IC Card.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sr.Horn said:

I hear it's possible to buy directly in Japan paying 1000 yen extra. What is totally necessary is to modernize the system and make the JR Pass integrated in an IC Card.

From the website it is possible to buy in Japan (at least through Spring of 2023) but it is more than 1000 yen.  For example for the 21 day green card adult is 91670 yen vs 83390 yen and a 7 day ordinary adult is 33610 vs 29650.  So about 4000 yen or more difference.

https://japanrailpass.net/en/about_jrp.html#anchor03