Don't Mess With Train Otakus

bill937ca

From Japan Dose.

Aug 5th 2021, 11pm, a group of high school photographers were waiting patiently at Enoshima Electric Railway in Kanagawa Prefecture. They were all trying to take photos of the new model of the Enoden carriage. 

But as the train came around a curve near an intersection, so did a cyclist. He was seen pedaling up the street, with his left arm raised.

This instantly enraged the photographers, who began shouting at the man. As the train passed by, a handful of photographers approached the man and demanded the cyclist to pay up, for ruining their shot. It is unclear whether the shakedown took place or not, but the damage has already been done.

The mans restaurant was later revealed by internet activists who bombarded with low ratings and reviews. 

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1
On 11/7/2022 at 1:54 AM, Sir Madog said:

This type of behaviour is what gives railfans a bad reputation! 

Who had the bad behavior?  The rail fans or the guy who obviously meant to photo bomb them...

Dylan obviously got what he wanted.  Free Publicity for his restaurant.   I am not trying to defend the Otaku. They were abusive in their reaction, but Dylan obviously tried to photo bomb them.  He came around the corner with his arm raised etc and he timed it "just right".

Edited by chadbag
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, chadbag said:

Who had the bad behavior?  The rail fans or the guy who obviously meant to photo bomb them...

Dylan obviously got what he wanted.  Free Publicity for his restaurant.   I am not trying to defend the Otaku. They were abusive in their reaction, but Dylan obviously tried to photo bomb them.  He came around the corner with his arm raised etc and he timed it "just right".

I think I have to agree to disagree. As you can see in the video, he is just coming around a curve and could not have seen the "rail fans". I think it is safe to say his behaviour was not intentional. According to the second video, there have been a number of incidents with "rail fans" including the use of violence. There is no excuse for such a bad behaviour and we should not condone it amongst us!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Sir Madog said:

I think I have to agree to disagree. As you can see in the video, he is just coming around a curve and could not have seen the "rail fans". I think it is safe to say his behaviour was not intentional. According to the second video, there have been a number of incidents with "rail fans" including the use of violence. There is no excuse for such a bad behaviour and we should not condone it amongst us!

I agree that the rail fans misbehaved.  I am not excusing their behavior.

However, from the video, it is pretty clear to me he knew they were there and was trying to photo bomb them.  He had his hand raised from before he went around the curve (and timed it perfectly, though the timing is also plausible as a coincidence).  I think he was trying to raise awareness for his restaurant and get his 15 min of fame by phot bombing.  I think both sides are losers.

I've watched the original video as presented in both of the above YT videos.  I can't see anything other than intent on his part to photobomb.

• Like 1

All very bad behavior all around. Photo bombing is a total my enjoyment at someone else’s cost/disappointment behavior, but the otaku reaction was flat out abusive. Troll squad crap is nothing but bullying and can verge on terrorism.

jeff

• Like 1

I rest my case. I have experienced bad railfan behaviour maybe too many times myself to have even the slightest notion of excusing it. I have seen a group of them yelling at an elderly, disabled person like a heard of elephants trumpeting at an intruder, I have seen them trampling down a fence and invading private property and I have seen some of them risking their own lives for that perfect shot- how stupid can one get?

Such a behaviour is not very well received with the public and it gives all of us a bad reputation - full stop!

• Confused 1

I thought the photobomber was Italian for some reason.
Maybe because of the physique and self-aware attitude?

EDIT: Also, is it just me, or is it a VERY Japanese thing to demand payment as an apology from someone who did you wrong?

Edited by Giugiaro

This whole thing is hilarious. On our recent trip, I photobombed a couple of instagrammers who were holding up traffic on a crossing in Takayama trying to get the perfect shot. It gave me a giggle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Jugderdemidiin Gurragchaa
5 hours ago, Grant_T said:

This whole thing is hilarious. On our recent trip, I photobombed a couple of instagrammers who were holding up traffic on a crossing in Takayama trying to get the perfect shot. It gave me a giggle.

I got quite annoyed at the Bamboo Forest walk in Kyoto with instagrammers blocking the whole path to try and stage their photos at the busiest time of day. I put on my most oblivious/dumb tourist face and just started charging through the middle of their pictures and ignored them when they yelled at me. If they are doing it at a quiet time of the day I would absolutely give them space, but trying to block the entire busy path in the middle of the day for a photoshoot when the entire place is packed full of people is very rude imo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’ve “run into” a few selfie sticks that have been thrust into my path by someone trying to selfie in busy spaces and ignoring everyone one around them. Selfie usually is just short for selfish.

jeff

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, cteno4 said:

I’ve “run into” a few selfie sticks that have been thrust into my path by someone trying to selfie in busy spaces and ignoring everyone one around them. Selfie usually is just short for selfish.

jeff

French Canadian friends use the word "Egophoto" ... that perfectly depicts the selfie

• Like 3
maihama eki

A warning for selfie stick users. This was in a station in Kyoto.

IMG_3259.thumb.jpg.71348609038e99552c57dca9192714dd.jpg

I really want a t-shirt with this image on it.

IMG_3260.thumb.jpg.ac6ac8f6901fa822bc80e321926c55e4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6