Jump to content

The end of SL Hitoyoshi


Recommended Posts

JR Kyushu has announced that their 8620 SL will be retired due to the growing cost of repairs and difficulty sourcing parts for the now 100 year old locomotive.  2023 is expected to be the final year of operation. 

 

https://tetsudo-ch.com/12793433.html

Edited by Kiha66
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
lighthouse

Noooo! I wanted to take a ride of this train in the next three years... but 2023 it is impossible for me to flight to Japan at the moment... 😭

Edited by lighthouse
  • Sad 1
Link to comment

If they (JRK) cannot get engineers to make/machine parts. Then I doubt there will be and SL replacement.

 

Probably the death knell for the Hisatsu Line.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1
Link to comment
SL58654Gō
19 hours ago, katoftw said:

If they (JRK) cannot get engineers to make/machine parts. Then I doubt there will be and SL replacement.

 

Probably the death knell for the Hisatsu Line.

I think things could be worse. There's still much deliberation over the restoration of the Hisatsu Line, and the prefectural government is still determined to bring it back for the sake of tourism and aiding declining population, and I think if JR Kyushu wants to encourage more tourists to use it then they may try to obtain another SL with the help of other railways elsewhere in Japan. Time will tell.

Link to comment
20 hours ago, katoftw said:

If they (JRK) cannot get engineers to make/machine parts. Then I doubt there will be and SL replacement.

 

Probably the death knell for the Hisatsu Line.

 

It's more complicated that "engineers making parts"

 

I've been involved during 10 years in a French steam trains preservation association. We were facing several kinds of issues: 

 

  • original drawing (/ copy of) or wooden shapes: when it comes to rebuilding a part, you need either the plans / drawings as making measurements on a used part is not the best way to proceed or wooden shape (eg for giving the foundry to mold it). unfortunately, they were either lost in time or sometimes never delivered with the original locomotive or wagon / car. 
  • workshop tools & subcontracting companies: not all the association workshop have also preserved tools for the rolling stock maintenance. Esp. when it comes to non-standard gauges (eg narrow gauge). Some are completely irrealistic to do internally (eg railway tyre) and difficult to subcontract with an affordable price (when the total budget of the year is close to 200 K€). Believe me, finding a company in France, able to make a railway tyre for a 60 cm gauge steam locomotive, it's challenging. That also the reason why some association are subcontractors for others in one particular speciality (for example, AMTP sent one locomotive to the Trains des Cevennes association for a particular operation we were not able to do)
  • Internal knowledge: the older the rolling stock is, the more difficult it is esp. if you rely on volunteers. If you've more budget, you can have employees but if the knowledge is not retained (pictures, drawing, way of working, etc ....), then you loose it. For example, I was trained to make a fuse plug but if nobody explains, then you can make a big mistake and endanger the people in the steam locomotive. 

Here are some examples I have in mind. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
53 minutes ago, JR East said:

 

It's more complicated that "engineers making parts"

 

I've been involved during 10 years in a French steam trains preservation association. We were facing several kinds of issues: 

 

  • original drawing (/ copy of) or wooden shapes: when it comes to rebuilding a part, you need either the plans / drawings as making measurements on a used part is not the best way to proceed or wooden shape (eg for giving the foundry to mold it). unfortunately, they were either lost in time or sometimes never delivered with the original locomotive or wagon / car. 
  • workshop tools & subcontracting companies: not all the association workshop have also preserved tools for the rolling stock maintenance. Esp. when it comes to non-standard gauges (eg narrow gauge). Some are completely irrealistic to do internally (eg railway tyre) and difficult to subcontract with an affordable price (when the total budget of the year is close to 200 K€). Believe me, finding a company in France, able to make a railway tyre for a 60 cm gauge steam locomotive, it's challenging. That also the reason why some association are subcontractors for others in one particular speciality (for example, AMTP sent one locomotive to the Trains des Cevennes association for a particular operation we were not able to do)
  • Internal knowledge: the older the rolling stock is, the more difficult it is esp. if you rely on volunteers. If you've more budget, you can have employees but if the knowledge is not retained (pictures, drawing, way of working, etc ....), then you loose it. For example, I was trained to make a fuse plug but if nobody explains, then you can make a big mistake and endanger the people in the steam locomotive. 

Here are some examples I have in mind. 

"Engineers making parts" encompasses all that you type, in a simplified way.

Edited by katoftw
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, SL58654Gō said:

I think things could be worse. There's still much deliberation over the restoration of the Hisatsu Line, and the prefectural government is still determined to bring it back for the sake of tourism and aiding declining population, and I think if JR Kyushu wants to encourage more tourists to use it then they may try to obtain another SL with the help of other railways elsewhere in Japan. Time will tell.

No SL and no Hisatsu Line. Dunno how it could be worse.

 

They way I see it. If JRK weren't willing to send the current SL to Kyoto for repairs. They I doubt they'd get a replacement. As it also would need to go to Kyoto for repairs.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, katoftw said:

"Engineers making parts" encompasses all that you type, in a simplified way.

You're right @katoftw, I did it also to share with other members not familiar with the topics you're also familiar with. 

 

When I was a volunteers at this AMTP association, I was frequently facing the same recurring questions from visitors : why don't you do this ? why don't you do that ? etc ... but (of course) they did not realize that it's not only a matter of money where - to some extend - is frequently the "most simple topic" (despite it can be a showstopper).

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
SL58654Gō
2 hours ago, katoftw said:

No SL and no Hisatsu Line. Dunno how it could be worse.

 

They way I see it. If JRK weren't willing to send the current SL to Kyoto for repairs. They I doubt they'd get a replacement. As it also would need to go to Kyoto for repairs.

 

2 hours ago, katoftw said:

No SL and no Hisatsu Line. Dunno how it could be worse.

 

They way I see it. If JRK weren't willing to send the current SL to Kyoto for repairs. They I doubt they'd get a replacement. As it also would need to go to Kyoto for repairs.

What I meant was, they could've already abolished the Hisatsu Line outright and be done with it. 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...