Tokyo Station

Martijn Meerts

Martijn Meerts

The main station building will be in the front of everything, I just haven't drawn it in the track plan ;)

Still not sure I'll actually be building it though. Especially after having made the track plan and seeing that it's not very flexible, nor easy to implement into a layout (seeing as all the shinkansen tracks start/end at the station ;))

Well Martjin,

One of the great things about our hobby is you don't have to be exact.  You can always make a representation of the real thing.  I know all of us are still very interested no matter if you make 10 or 6 or 30 platforms for the Tokyo station.  ;)

Martijn Meerts

The number of platforms is actually quite doable. Sure, it'll be a rather big station, and difficult to reach everywhere (even though it'll be in sections to make it possible to move when needed), but the biggest issue is the length. I really want the main station of any future layout to be able to hold a 16 part shinkansen. In a way, a station that's the terminus for shinkansen and a standard through station for most other trains would be optimal.

I guess it depends a bit on how much space I'll have available, which I won't know until I move. However, something resembling Tokyo Station with correct number of (visible) platforms and correct track length can't be done on much less than 5 meters ;)

Martijn Meerts

There'd be another 2 stations, possibly 3, although those wouldn't be shinkansen stations. The shinkansen would just run a stretch that's as long as space allows, and then drive into a shadow station. The other tracks will either be large loops or the same kind of idea as the shinkansen, except that they stop at the other stations as well.

Martijn Meerts

Right, so I did a bit of measuring on the attic of my parents' house when I was there the past weeks.

The attic isn't quite long enough to fit the station unless I place it close to the ground. In a way that's not a problem because the station will be in sections/modules.

However, if I place it diagonally, I *should* have enough space to fit the entire station on a reasonable working height.

So basically, with a little more optimization I'll be able to actually build the entire station with full length tracks =)

Of course, it'll be a while before I start on the station, first thing we'll be doing after moving is tearing down my father's layout and building a new one that makes better use of available space.

Marti - After reading your last post, I envisioned a house in the Netherlands with an "odd" extension jutting out from only it's Attic that was designed to fit your new layout. :grin