Inside lighting Tomix E1 Series 92059

PatriotClass

Hello there!

I am new in this forum and I just posted my introduction

There is mostly a problem a new member is querying to solve at the initialisation and so it is in my case too:

I bought a nice pre owned TOMIX E1 set and wanted to install the inside lighting, but there are no wheel pickups installed in the trucks. On google I found no useful results, but I am convinced, that there must be a kit or spare parts. Can someone link a place where I can order at least the pick ups?

I have thought about constructing some pick ups of my own using elastic copper plate, but in this case I would prefer the original part.

Thanks!

1666270484239.png

Best bet for ordering these would to contact ModelTrainPlus or Railgallery-Rokko via email.

Are there metal stripes between the underfloor and the floorboard?

• Like 1

Are there metal stripes between the underfloor and the floorboard?

Yes, there are weight plates inside. I have seen on a lighted car, that they are used to electrcally connect the two  truck pick ups.

Tomix parts JS21 (pickup) and JS06 (spring) are the ones you need.

Great! Thanks railsquid, thats exactly what I am searching for!

As soon as I get the material I will post here the installation.^^

31 minutes ago, PatriotClass said:

Yes, there are weight plates inside. I have seen on a lighted car, that they are used to electrcally connect the two  truck pick ups.

There should be two (usually copper, sometimes nickel silver) thin strips about 4mm wide running down each side of the base the length of the chassis. 

many cars also just have some hunks of heavier metal in the base of the chassis just for car weight. The two long thin strips are the electrical connectors from the truck springs to where you plug in the light strip. These run just under the top seat plate.

Jeff

Tomix uses their nickel silver strips both for weight and electrical conduction.

Since the pickups and springs were not part of the model, I was afraid that the model was too old to have the strips too.

If you need any recommendations, a lot of us use HKTILC anti-flicker interior lights to light our models.

Edited by disturbman

Really the Tomix nickel silver strips that beefy to be of much weight? It’s been a while since I totally disassembled a Tomix non powered chasis.

cheers,

jeff

21 hours ago, disturbman said:

Tomix uses their nickel silver strips both for weight and electrical conduction.

Since the pickups and springs were not part of the model, I was afraid that the model was too old to have the strips too.

If you need any recommendations, a lot of us use HKTILC anti-flicker interior lights to light our models.

Is this the website?

https://hktilc.com/

just FYI, the tomix aftermarket pickup and springs create a lot of drag on the train. It may not run optimally after you install it. 

• Like 1
On 10/22/2022 at 1:07 AM, disturbman said:

Yes, the anti-flicker lights are the "advance".

Looking really good. It's really constant !VIDEO - impressing! How do they manage the anti-flicker? The capacitor on the circuit board is so tiny.

I have seen a micro switch on some of the HKTILCS circuit boards, that might be controlling the brightness?

I have developped an interior lighting system for my coaches by myself, but the HKTILC sets are really affordable. Do you order on the HKTILCS home page directly or at a supplier?

On 10/22/2022 at 1:59 AM, Yavianice said:

just FYI, the tomix aftermarket pickup and springs create a lot of drag on the train. It may not run optimally after you install it.

I think so too, but what is the alternative? I like the way Kato has solved the pickup issue. To use this on the Tomix trucks, I have to reolace all wheel sets...

9 minutes ago, PatriotClass said:

Looking really good. It's really constant !VIDEO - impressing! How do they manage the anti-flicker? The capacitor on the circuit board is so tiny.

I have seen a micro switch on some of the HKTILCS circuit boards, that might be controlling the brightness?

I have developped an interior lighting system for my coaches by myself, but the HKTILC sets are really affordable. Do you order on the HKTILCS home page directly or at a supplier?

The capacitor is tiny and it can flicker if the tracks are very dirty or badly laid out, but normally, it's not an issue. Densha.me offers similar lights with a very big capacitor, these are famous to stay lighted for a very long time; even when you put the cars back into their case. But these are more expensive.

I don't think anybody beside HKTILC and Khaho (a Hong Kong model train shop)sells their lights, I buy directly on their website. I think distribution is limited as they are the manufacturer of the Popondetta lights and have a contract that do not let them sell in Japan. But Khaho and HKTILC are sister companies, one being an offshoot of the other.

• Thanks 1