Kato FL12 Decoders in Hitachi Class 800/0 GWR (Kato 10-1671)

DHowell1973

Hi All,

Haven't been able to find help with my issue so hoping someone can help?

I installed the FL12 decoders in the power car ends and they programmed ok. The problem I have is that they turn on and off ok. One end is white and the back end is red. When you swap direction of the unit the lights do not reverse they just go out?? I'm pulling my hair out so please let me know its something simple!!!

Edited by disturbman
all caps title
  • disturbman changed the title to Kato FL12 Decoders in Hitachi Class 800/0 GWR (Kato 10-1671)
Takahama Trainwatcher

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear of your frustrations.

Have you tried a subtle repositioning of the FL12s? Sometimes moving them forwards or backwards by a millimetre or thereabouts can make them behave properly.

On 10/16/2022 at 1:45 PM, DHowell1973 said:

Hi All,

Haven't been able to find help with my issue so hoping someone can help?

I installed the FL12 decoders in the power car ends and they programmed ok. The problem I have is that they turn on and off ok. One end is white and the back end is red. When you swap direction of the unit the lights do not reverse they just go out?? I'm pulling my hair out so please let me know its something simple!!!

I assume the directions work ok in analog mode?  Meaning no decoders in end cabs and training running on an analog track.

Hi, just in case the FL12 install is still an issue, here’s what I learned yesterday. The actual install in the Kato 400 cab car was easy, it’s the programming that’s the catch. I wanted my 400 to use the 5022 on the locomotive. I tried numerous times and failed. I finally found a comment on another web site that pointed out the FL12 can only program using a short address. Boom! I reprogrammed the locomotive and the cab car to 22 and all works as advertised. DCC is the only way to go for me. Good luck! All aboard…

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Wolf said:

I run all my FL12 with 4 digit adresses. No problems here.

Me too.  All my FL12 are "long" addresses

The problem is that the FL12 doesn't have enough resistance to always pick up the DCC (please correct me someone if the details are wrong).  Normally you have a locomotive with a motor that provides the resistance.  The cab car by itself doesn't have that.  I find if I try multiple times, or program a locomotive on the track at the same time I have better luck with FL12 programming.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, chadbag said:

The problem is that the FL12 doesn't have enough resistance to always pick up the DCC (please correct me someone if the details are wrong).  Normally you have a locomotive with a motor that provides the resistance.  The cab car by itself doesn't have that.  I find if I try multiple times, or program a locomotive on the track at the same time I have better luck with FL12 programming.

Yes, absolutely. I always programm cab cars and motorcar at the same time due to this. Many DCC command stations dont recognice the decoder due to its low power consumption, and instead throw an error at the user. Hornby and Lenz that I use do that. Some actually do programm the decoder, but still fire an error message anyway, i think Esu does this, but never seen myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Wolf said:

Yes, absolutely. I always programm cab cars and motorcar at the same time due to this. Many DCC command stations dont recognice the decoder due to its low power consumption, and instead throw an error at the user. Hornby and Lenz that I use do that. Some actually do programm the decoder, but still fire an error message anyway, i think Esu does this, but never seen myself.

Yeah my D&H programmer will sometimes work even when it signals an error but I usually have to do 4-5 writes for the FL12 to get the new address.  It sometimes signals an error and sometimes not, but it never matches with the real success or failure, so I automatically just write 4-5 times and then try it, and repeat if necessary.  I also have an ESU programmer since I've started buy some ESU decoders and was feeling generous with myself, but haven't actually tried using it yet.  House project takes all my time.

I usually am adding in FL12 later after the motor car has already been programmed (ie, buy the FL12 later or get around to installing them days or weeks or months later) and don't want to risk messing a working motor car up so I usually either use a sacrificial locomotive (one not yet in service or programmed) along with the FL12 or just try the shotgun blast of writes described above.