Micro Ace EF55-1

Claude_Dreyfus

Claude_Dreyfus

At last...hurrah! I have taken delivery of my much anticipated EF55-1, purchased from Hobby World. :grin

This is a locomotive I have been after ever since I saw a picture of it about 5/10 years ago, but really I'm not sure why. It's not very good looking in the classical sense, nor is it very practicle operationally; but I still love it. I think it may be because it just looks to be such a throw-back to an earlier age; Art Deco almost, and certainly looks like it shoudl have come from the 1930's - which of course it did (1936).

I have yet to run it, but will endeavour to over the next day or so.

I have a suitable Suro 81 set for it to haul in its 'renovated' condition, and it was only finally withdrawn from charter work last year...

post-141-1356992369031_thumb.jpg

CaptOblivious

Such an ugly ugly thing. It's as if an EMD P42 was left out in the sun too long and melted. (And electrified.) But, still, a handsome model.

I'm curious if you could say a little more about why it was designed as it is? Why the nose? Why the asymmetry, so rare on Japanese electrics?

Hi Claude!

thank's for this photo, I'm still waiting the last box from Rainbowten with this loco.

I already have the first release and the set with the same loco but this appear really improved, specially the head boogie.

I hope the next re-release of the old locos series have the same improvement

ciao

Massimo

A typical 1930s design in keeping  with the streamlining trend found in many countries.  A great favourite in Japan and was used on enthusiast's specials.

The first Micro Ace model was not perfect as it had a flangeless leading bogie wheel which looked very strange.  There were or was , hopefully, an extra set of wheels in the box to replace the flangeless ones but these were for display purposes on for use on straight lines.

Taking into account the popularity of the real loco in Japan, I could not understand the short cuts that Micro Ace took at the time. Sadly, some of their steam locos went down the same route.  A great shame especially as they had a blank canvas to play with. 

Claude_Dreyfus

The first Micro Ace model was not perfect as it had a flangeless leading bogie wheel which looked very strange.  There were or was , hopefully, an extra set of wheels in the box to replace the flangeless ones but these were for display purposes on for use on straight lines.

This model has the same set up. It comes with a flangeless lead wheel fitted, but a flanged version comes in the box. This fitting to the body as opposed to the lead bogie set, so I will be interested to see how much play this has on curves...

The "Moomin" as the EF-55 was known was only retired last year with many commemorative runs. Only 3 of these locomotives were built.  The front is streamlined, but the back is the standard access deck. In some ways it resembles a Pennsylvania Railroad locomotive, at least from the front side.

Mainichi Daily News story on the retirement of the oldest locomotive.

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/photospecials/graph/ef55/

Photo in a Japanese language blog:

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/muminef551/folder/1362606.html

Thanks for sharing Claude!  I agree that this an unusually cool looking locomotive and has been on my 'interest radar' for some time.  Good price too, from what I saw on Plaza Japan as well.

It's as if an EMD P42 was left out in the sun too long and melted.

LOL!  Of course, someone from the 1930's would probably wonder why we like all these straight lines!

Hezekiah Strawbody

This model has the same set up. It comes with a flangeless lead wheel fitted, but a flanged version comes in the box. This fitting to the body as opposed to the lead bogie set, so I will be interested to see how much play this has on curves...

You can make it run OK with all the wheels on reasonable radius curves if you cut away the insides of the front skirts as much as possible.