Kyoto Wants You Back

Dave K

I had not realized kyoto had continued to spiral up in tourism so much. I was last there in 2011 and pretty much figured I’d not go back at that point there were so many tourists. Luckily I had a lot of lovely times in kyoto in the 80s and got vip treatment to everything so was content to just keep to my neurochrome experiences. I can’t imagine what it must have been like just pre covid times.

cheers,

jeff

if you just sign up for the free nytimes account they will let you read a few a day for free. Searching by the article title (Kyoto Wants You Back, but It Has Some Polite Suggestions) in google and going from there sometimes gets around having to have an account.

Japan got up to 32mil international visitor before covid in 2019.

In 2014, it was 13mil, in 2017, it was 17mil. These are the years I previously visited.

So the influx was huge 2018-2019. Crowded places like Kyoto just wasn't able to handle the extra visitors.

Majority visited the usual Tokyo-Kyoto-Hiroshima golden route. And 70% were from mainland Asia where politeness and queueing are a afterthought.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

Kyoto definite love-hate relationship with tourists.  Virtually bankrupt without them.

Every time I go to Kyoto, I say I’m never going back because of the crowds.  But I always end up going back. 

We hadn't been to Kyoto as the touristy parts in a long time.  We did go there on our last trip (2019) I think it was to take the Eizan electric railway up the mountain (both Hiei and the other one -- the railways splits) and to go to a ramen shop that was out in the non tourist area that was recommended.

But we did end up in the Kyoto main station and it was packed.

Not me at the moment.

Last time I've been in Kyoto (September 2017) was horrible. Like a theme park I considered an unpracticable city to explore quite. But this is a good oportunity to discover other minor cities in the area, even around Kyoto-center.

I am keen again. Bit awaiting airfares and general flight craziness to calm down.

But I am more into the surrounds this time. Nagahama, Hikone, Ostu, Nara, Kamogawa delta and Kurama. So probably wouldn't  hit too crowded places.

Kiyomizudera is a location I haven't done. And I'd like ti visit the railway museum and ride the Randen again. So might end up seeing a few crowds.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1
On 11/16/2022 at 5:32 AM, katoftw said:

I am keen again. Bit awaiting airfares and general flight craziness to calm down.

But I am more into the surrounds this time. Nagahama, Hikone, Ostu, Nara, Kamogawa delta and Kurama. So probably wouldn't  hit too crowded places.

Kiyomizudera is a location I haven't done. And I'd like ti visit the railway museum and ride the Randen again. So might end up seeing a few crowds.

I've got a family trip to Kyoto planned for next month.  Just two days (I live in Nagoya so its not far), but the main purpose of the trip is that my son wants to go for a ride on the Randen line so we'll be basing it entirely on that.   Looking forward to it.  

• Like 3