Decoder for Tomix Kiha 100

Domperna

Welcome aboard,

Sadly Tomix is by no means at all DCC friendly. (Or more precise, except for Kato, no Japanese vendor is really dcc friendly).

So your soldering iron and a cabled dcc decoder are sadly your option here. Ad the Pokémon with you KiHa was my second DCC soldering ever i only connected the motor to dcc by soldering directly to the springs and insulating the brass band they usually go to. I never got around fixing the lights.

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts
39 minutes ago, Wolf said:

(Or more precise, except for Kato, no Japanese vendor is really dcc friendly)

Actually, I have some Tramway N-scale steamers that have a 6-pin NEM socket 🙂

37 minutes ago, Martijn Meerts said:

Actually, I have some Tramway N-scale steamers that have a 6-pin NEM socket 🙂

Of course there are exceptions, same as you need a lot of third party replacement boards for Kato Locos as well wich I named as "dcc friendly", so one needs still to check, yes.

The Tomix KiHa 100 in question has none of these, and to my knowledge nonthird party replacement board is available.

Everything Tomix I've done has required a hardwired decoder.  They are usually all the same in general steps, except the split chassis locomotives.   Isolate the motor from the pickups, and interpose the decoder in between (electrically speaking).

I'm still slowly working on that one (split chassis -- had it working but then problems crept in and I haven't gotten back to it).

Edited by chadbag
  • Like 1