Building a tram layout

IST

620*682 mm with the baseboards, so it really does not need too much space.

Thank you for the information on this IST, it has helped very much :grin.

I.E. look at your square unitram layout. See how there's four diagonal borders where the tracks get farther apart to go around the curve? That joint, where the tracks are farther apart, matches the #4 turnout (and everything else that's based on Kato's 33mm spacing).

I've just gave it a try, see the attached picture. I could not try it with my tram as the turnout has a decoder while the tram hasn't. I think I should buy some extra turnout. Thanks for the info!

post-248-13569923780204_thumb.jpg

the unitram straight sections and curves at the straight junctions are at the 25mm spacing (ie the standard ttrak spacing you get by butting two pieces of untrack side to side) and the standard unitrak 33mm spacing (ttrak alternate spacing) on the center of the curves. think they were contemplating selling to the japanese ttrak crowd?!

cheers

jeff

I hope Kato bring out some Unitram straights and "in concrete" switches as then you could make a very interest tram layout set in a urban area. Also I wonder if Kato will expand their tram range in the 2010 releases? I will be getting a Kato 2010 catalogue hen they come out as I am keen to find out.

I hope also.

I think Kato will release all of the available liveries of Portram, as the red, blue and green ones released. But I will be happier to Unitram switches and straights.

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks IST for posting your progress!

I am in this hobby only because of the trams but I sense that trams will become part of many layouts because they require so little space and relatively minor expense. They are an excuse for more urban structures and provide a diversion to train layouts. A lot of people on this forum seem to have got either the Tomytec or Kato trams, and I suspect for many they are their first trams.

Please let us know if the Kato catalog has information on future Unitram track. There was a photo posted some time ago of a 90 degree double Unitram crossing, so that helps break the oval.

089.jpg

A lot of people already have Unitrack so here is a link that shows how to blend Unitram and Unitrack; and it also has excellent dimension data.

http://jw_cad.fukurail.gozaru.jp/pattern/KATO/UNITRAM.html

Cheers

Rick

Thanks Rick for the info. Those crossing looks exciting. I will check the catalog when I got it, I hope that Kato will release straight track pack with baseboards in this year.

And the show must go on:

18_offices.jpg: I was not satisfied fully with the card panel which was in the Unitram box, so I decided to buy some buildings. Honestly I do not know Tomytec and Greenmax products, so I chose 3 office buildings from Kato. I was impressed with the quality of Portram, therefore I thought other stuff from Kato will be good. I chose these buildings because of when I first thinking about Japan or Tokyo, I see before my eyes crowded streets with tall buildings or skyscrapers. So I wanted to buy something similar. The parking area and the small park was a sudden idea, but I will write about these somewhat later.

19_outofthebox.jpg: It was a big surprise for me, that the houses were in one piece in the boxes. I know some German and British based buildings, but all of them released in kits, so I had to construct which is very funny as I know my dexterity. OK, there are some exceptions, Graham Farish started to sell railway buildings in the same form. Which was also a surprise that I can take aparts the offices, so maybe one time I will put some furniture inside and light it. I saw some great pictures on this forum with great solutions.

20_traminthetown.jpg: Quick picture how my Unitram layout looks like with these 3 offices. I really like it, however, lot of buildings are missing from the baseboard, these 3 ones are soooo few.

21_adv.jpg: Without the stickers and advertising signs the offices looks good, but not great. So after I got some courage, I started to look after how can I make those more real. You can see on the picture the parts of the roof and sidelong advertising signs. These are made from plastic and not too big.

22_someadv.jpg: Stickers are on one sheet and not precut of course which I do not like. Really. I have a sharp modeller knife, but cutting out the smallest one stickers can be frustrating. Even so I founded that I cut and stick these easier than the first time, so maybe it is right that practice makes perfect. There were a lot of advertising on the sheet, so I could choose some. Because of I do not speak Japanese, I do not know what companies do I advertising. But I think not me is the only one in this topic. To fix the plastic sign to the building was quite simple as I only had to push that into the side of the office to precut holes.

23_topofthebuilding.jpg: Do you think that I broke the holder of the sign? I hope no, but I did it. It is also just pushed into the roof area and to the back of the panel, but it is so thin that this happened to me. I do not know how do you handle these parts, but I have to find a better solution than pushing in with my hands. After that I gain some bad experience in small plastic things so I started to be afraid from it.  :sad:

24_stickersonthewindows.jpg: After it I begun to cut out some stickers to the windows. In the beginning it was correct, but after it I figured that my knife became less sharp, so I changed its blade. Unfortunately I noticed it a little bit late. Sticking of the adv was easier than I thought. I did not make perfect job, but for me is OK.

25_fullhouse.jpg: You can see how this office looks like when I finished it and I have to tell you that I really like it. It looks lots better than in the original shape without stickers. It became more colourful and maybe more Japanese.

post-248-1356992378694_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923787438_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923787779_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923788172_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923788498_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923788818_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923789142_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923789468_thumb.jpg

26_groundlevel.jpg: I like the cow on the adv, this is why I took this pictures. You can see some slank stickers also, but from a normal viewpoint these do not seems too bad.

27_endofthework.jpg: I just wanted to show you how the sheet of the stickers looks like after I finished the work on this building. There are some adv on it which I did not use, but maybe later these will be handy.

28_summerinthecity.jpg: The layout with the tram and some cars. One thing I am sure: I had to buy a lot of cars and peoples to make more real my small town. Without these it is not so friendly and seems a dead city.

post-248-13569923789824_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923790214_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923791277_thumb.jpg

Nice. :)

And, just for your information, the Japanese count the ground floor (street level) as a floor. Your 3F is in fact the 4F.

IST - Nice looking so far with the buildings.

In the instructions, do you know if the dimensions for the space for buildings is specifically designed for the use of specific kato structures? Some of the Greenmax & Tomytec buildings are also very nice.

Thanks Rick for the info. Those crossing looks exciting. I will check the catalog when I got it, I hope that Kato will release straight track pack with baseboards in this year.

I have the Kato 2010 catalog and there are no new Unitram items mentioned.

I had my set running at the club yesterday and it got a lot of interest from club members and visitors.

I saw a Portram tram from Tomix on a Hungarian second-hand market, which is hold at every Saturday. The owner of the tram saw my articles about building a Unitram set and the Kato made tram also, so we could compare the two trams. I have never seen the Tomix version before, only on internet, so it was a new experience for me. And to be honest, I chosed well. I don't like the 'huge' motor in the Tomix and really like lights in the Kato, plus Kato seems to me more detailed. I know that Kato cost more (twice I think), but the difference worth for me. What is your oppinion?

Hobby Dreamer
What is your opinion (of Kato vs Tomiytec trams)

I'm glad that both are available! Kato has made a "showstopper" with their trams in terms of exterior and interior lighting and a detailed interior. But Tomytec is ideal for those on a budget or for those that want a static display tram or one where lighting and interior detail is not required.

I have both; Kato for running and Tomytec for static display in a (future) tram yard. I don't plan to have a Japanese layout but rather freelance so I plan to have loops and other track variants.

I even like the new Tomix tram track, just announced, as I plan to have a cargo yard and it would be perfect for that use.

Jeff said it best when he mentioned that Kato has developed their product for 3 years - and it shows! There were a lot of pessimists who predicted doom because the interior in the Kato trams meant that the motor would be small and problematic - but again Kato came through. And Kato's track cannot be better, except for more variants.

Thanks again for posting your experience with trams!

Nice pictures and excellent explanations IST.

And one question, the Unitram straight track would fit with this Unitrack double track?

40-900_l.jpg

20-011b.jpg

Thanks

CaptOblivious

And one question, the Unitram straight track would fit with this Unitrack double track?

No, they won't fit. The spacing is quite different. The Unitrack double track will fit with one end of the curve Unitram sections, where the spacing comes apart a bit.

No, they won't fit. The spacing is quite different. The Unitrack double track will fit with one end of the curve Unitram sections, where the spacing comes apart a bit.

It will partially fit (on the curve section you mentioned). In my mini-review thread of the double track plate system I pointed out and provided photos to show that the height of the double track plate pieces is more then regular Unitrack (because it's actually a piece of Unitrack screwed onto a ~2mm thick plate). I was glad that Kato fixed that oversight when they made the UniTram track system.

Also, double track plate pieces are becoming quite rare - the 248mm straights are often unavailable (though there are a lot of curve sections collecting dust in peoples inventories). I don't think the plate track met Kato's expectations.

Edit: Photos of plate track are here http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php?topic=1902.0

A question if you have a measuring tape - what is the radius of the Unitram curves? I heard it was something around 180mm.

(To measure, make a circle or half circle, then measure the distance between the inside rails. Add 9mm for the gauge, and divide the result by 2 to get the radius).

It is not so easy to measure, because you can not make a real circle from Unitram tracks, rather than an oval. Please see this picture! At the edge of the baseboard, the curve becomes to a short straight section.