Layout Signals

katem

Moving this topic from our Facebook Group. There might be more people with relevant info 🙂 

Jacek H. wrote:

I'm building upper right quarter of this layout and I don't know which signals I need to place down.

image.thumb.png.2ef835932cb77664ae07b9d0b39d25af.png

Edited by katem

katem wrote:

Oh that depends on what would you like to do with that station and on the level of realism you'd like to achieve. Some ideas:

1) Simple passing station, left-hand traffic, shunting not covered by signals:

image.thumb.png.195016f5127e3b19082c2b55f2f1dd69.png

2) Station with two tracks v1, shunting not covered by signals:

image.thumb.png.998d4477e2eaf21c36147059250f619c.png

3) Station with two tracks v2, shunting not covered by signals:

image.thumb.png.7982b94ebe65b4d27207b2cbf4e870ed.png

4) Station with shunting signals covering just one turnout:

image.thumb.png.da8ef7594f7e9119a45f04daec1cf6d4.png

5) Station fully covered with shunting signals:

image.thumb.png.345aa6ae4c3a13048285aee72ce1eb9b.png

Purple light on shunting signals is optional (simply said). Depending on speeds allowed on the main line, the entry and exit signals might have more lights.

Jacek H. wrote:

ok, but why the #4 pic has shunting signal behind the first turnout, and not in front of it (looking from the lead track perspective)?

katem wrote:

In this case the signal should be on the border between tracks covered by shunting signals and tracks not covered by them which is just between these two turnouts.

Jacek H. wrote:

ok, that's logical. So that means that two turnouts are operated manually by shunting crew and two are operated remotely by dispatcher.

Edited by katem

Jacek H. wrote:

do I mark loading gauge limit (or whatever is it called) near turnouts? Which turnouts need to have indicators/stands?

I don't know answer to this question, could anyone else help please?

I was the one asking.

Both through tracks are bidirectional, upper is for local passenger trains, lower is for freight only. Two spur tracks will be for loading tankers (btw. how much distance should be there to fit gasoline pumps inbetween? (H0)), the single track on the right is the lead track. Let's assume that two switches on the through tracks are operated remotely and the other two are operated manually by shunting crew. Default positions of both manual-operated switches are straight, right?

There's no english name for the loading gauge limit, as neither North America nor the UK marks those.

About the track naming. Upper one is "main" (本), lower one is "one down" (一下) or "one up" (一上), depending where is "up" and where is "down". Therefore exit signals must be named (on signs hanging on signal poles) simply "exit main down" (出本下) and "exit one down" (出一下) on one side and "exit main up" (出本上) and "exit one up" (出一上) on the other side respectively. Am I right here?

55 minutes ago, Jaco3011 said:

There's no english name for the loading gauge limit, as neither North America nor the UK marks those.

Clearance or fouling Point? Sometimes marked with a white post or painted sleepers.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=clearance+point+railway&prmd=isnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjTxaTQqpb6AhV8_XMBHfN2A30Q_AUoAXoECAMQAQ&biw=412&bih=711&dpr=1.75

Edited by katoftw
On 9/15/2022 at 10:00 AM, katoftw said:

Sometimes marked with a white post or painted sleepers.

German wikipedia lied to me :c

But do you know how do they look and where do I need to place them?

um http://www.sumidacrossing.org/Prototype/TrackSigns/

Clearance Point Sign

The Vehicle Contact Limit Sign (literally “Limit Signs Vehicle Contact” or 車両接触限界標識) is a small triangular marker attached to a tie outside the track, presenting a white face to an oncoming train, is used to mark the clearance point at a switch or similar location. This is the point by which a train must stop in order to prevent it from interfering with a train on an adjacent track (e.g., at a switch where a train ahead can divert to or enter from a line parallel to the stopped train). Some of these have numerals on the sign, although it’s unclear to me what these indicate. As seen in the Target Stop Position example, there can be other ways to indicate the required stopping point.

Wikipedia article about railway signs has some images of some variants of that sign (truncated pyramid or bollard for snowy areas). White truncated pyramid seems to be the most abundant. Sanriku Railway uses yellow truncated pyramid, e.g. here (both bollards with black stripe on the JR East side of the station and yellow truncated pyramids on the Sanriku Railway side are shown). I've also seen bollards with red stripe, e.g. here. In the prototype railways of my modelling, all turnouts have one of these signs, without regard to whether the track is in station or in depot, or whether it is covered by main signal or shunting signal or not.