Future Japan Trip Planning

Phantom

you looking for something like this?

1202711483_jrwestshintime.thumb.jpg.89c32395b5c99370c1b1dce9e3dc3590.jpg

its a pain in the rear.  but go to the japanese version of the timetable/train search.  use the auto translate on google/chrome etc.  select your stations.  some stations just dont work when the translator is on, you will get an error message.  so you will need to turn off the translator before hitting the final search button.

849646060_odekakesearch.thumb.jpg.67d4383193d17cd6d48d40577a4a372a.jpg

once you got an option/s, pick the "other trains on this section" link.

862620567_jrwestshintimeother.thumb.png.0591a1431d83083769194beb3177e7e3.png

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1
On 9/7/2022 at 3:45 PM, katoftw said:

you looking for something like this?

1202711483_jrwestshintime.thumb.jpg.89c32395b5c99370c1b1dce9e3dc3590.jpg

its a pain in the rear.  but go to the japanese version of the timetable/train search.  use the auto translate on google/chrome etc.  select your stations.  some stations just dont work when the translator is on, you will get an error message.  so you will need to turn off the translator before hitting the final search button.

849646060_odekakesearch.thumb.jpg.67d4383193d17cd6d48d40577a4a372a.jpg

once you got an option/s, pick the "other trains on this section" link.

862620567_jrwestshintimeother.thumb.png.0591a1431d83083769194beb3177e7e3.png

Thanks so much, that's exactly what I was looking for!

One slight difficulty though, if I do Shin-Osaka to Kokura versus shin-Osaka to Hiroshima I get a different number of Kodama services. I'm guessing this only shows the trains between two destinations that happen to stop at both?

Which means if I can figure out all of the stations where trains terminate or originate between Osaka and Hakata I can see all of the trains albeit over a few separate tabs.

There is only one Hikari rail star service 😞

Edited by Phantom

If the timetable is too much work you can use Google Maps. It doesn't always come up with the best route, but it's usually decent. You can change the leave/arrive time to a date in the future, and it seems to have all the timetables programmed in.

On 9/10/2022 at 4:26 AM, katoftw said:

Just do Hakata and Shin-Osaka.

Okayama has the most finishers/starters other than the above two stations.

Hiroshima would probably be next most?

On 9/10/2022 at 8:34 AM, mojo said:

If the timetable is too much work you can use Google Maps. It doesn't always come up with the best route, but it's usually decent. You can change the leave/arrive time to a date in the future, and it seems to have all the timetables programmed in.

This is for doing a bit of spotting versus riding the train. The JR West website or Google will be plenty to sort out getting a train somewhere.

• Like 1

I've recently seen one of the posts here on the March timetable changes which if I interpreted it correctly indicates the 700-7000 railstar and 500 series will remain until the 18th of March next year and presumably the E8 won't enter service until then as well. I think November this year is doable for me but an outside chance, that leaves mid-March and mid-May as alternatives. I think May would likely be better than March but runs the risk the railstar and 500 won't be around since it's after March. Any thoughts on May? I'm not sure if N700S replacing trainsets on Tokaido might shift some of the older N700 types to JR West and thus replacing the 700-7000/500.

Also, does JR generally phase in one trainset at a time starting in March or will all E3s be replaced simultaneously in March by the E8? I would like to see the E3 but that is lower priority than the other two for me.

No announcement have been made on retiring railstar or 500 series shinkansans. So expect them to be around for at least another 2 years minimum.

Edited by disturbman
unnecessary quote, answering previous message

Thanks! That May option might be worth considering, November has the Fall foliage and cooler weather but May might be greener and rainier possibly. Interesting option to consider. If there are some E3 sets around in May I think that would be better than March without a doubt.

On a side note, I sort of assumed there were only a few E series sets left on the San'yo but if you're saying 2 years does that mean most of the total 16 remain in operation?

Edited by disturbman
unnecessary quote, answering previous message
6 hours ago, Phantom said:

Thanks! That May option might be worth considering, November has the Fall foliage and cooler weather but May might be greener and rainier possibly. Interesting option to consider. If there are some E3 sets around in May I think that would be better than March without a doubt.

On a side note, I sort of assumed there were only a few E series sets left on the San'yo but if you're saying 2 years does that mean most of the total 16 remain in operation?

I didn't mention anything about E3 sets. That JRE stuff and I don't really follow them too closely.

7 hours ago, JR East said:

Just giving you a flavour of Hanami ... Shot in 2016 

1130188992_Hanami_2(Moyenne).thumb.jpg.e28e3e6f732e839f1c373e7620f63c02.jpg

698220971_Hanami_1(Moyenne).thumb.jpg.abb8ad79cb64f91a9bbe1baf38cadbb3.jpg

Enjoy 2023 Hanami !

JM. 

Unfortunately my window in march is about a week or two before this so that's why I'm preferring November

7 hours ago, katoftw said:

I didn't mention anything about E3 sets. That JRE stuff and I don't really follow them too closely.

Yeah, I figured since you didn't mention it just sort of leaving the question out there in case someone who does know reads it.