Tomix 98695 Kintetsu Railway Series 80000 (Hinotori)

Dave K

I was not aware that Tomix produced the Kintetsu Series 80000 a couple of years ago.

Besides the additional two cars in the upcoming Tomix 98786, are there any significant 

differences between the two releases?

This is the sharpest livery I have seen so far, and I will likely add one or the other to my collection.

Thanks,

Dave 

9 minutes ago, disturbman said:

No. It's the same, the original release was already equipped with the new M-13 motor.

Thanks,

Dave

Purely speculation: The initial 6 car trains started service in March 2020 and the 8 cars in November so perhaps the design and production process was intending to make these for a Q4 2020 addition once the train entered service.

I wonder whether due to increases in Covid cases, reduced staffing, challenges for materials etc.. the intended 2 car addition got shelved in favour of producing known strong sellers or products already committed to. The centre cars are slightly different with shunting cabs so the units can be split into 4 car sections for maintenance IIRC. Perhaps, approved designs, tooling may not have been completed before the world went crazy. 

The number of 6 car units sold through retailers pretty quickly and I managed to pick one up in a less frequented little store, thankfully, so probably not through lack of demand.

• Like 1

Is there any reason to try to specifically get the 6-car set anymore if one wanted that configuration? It looks like the 8-car version will be able to emulate the 6-car set just by removing the two middle cars, but maybe I'm missing something?

If the transfer sheet allows, yes. But since the set is sold for the 8-car formationsonly, I doubt Tomix included them. Will be interesting to see.

4 hours ago, arkh said:

Is there any reason to try to specifically get the 6-car set anymore if one wanted that configuration? It looks like the 8-car version will be able to emulate the 6-car set just by removing the two middle cars, but maybe I'm missing something?

Yeah no issue I see.

3 hours ago, disturbman said:

If the transfer sheet allows, yes. But since the set is sold for the 8-car formationsonly, I doubt Tomix included them. Will be interesting to see.

Sheet allows.

The 6 car had cars numbered 80100 to 80600. So car 1 to 6.

The added cars were numbered 80700 and 80800, and added to the middle of the formation. So 1 2 3 7 8 4 5 6.

So they can just be omitted for older 6 car running.

Actually, no. Your numbering is wrong. The cars of the eight-car formations (HV51-HV53) are numbered 80150 to 80850. The six-car formations are numbered 80100 to 80600. You can check raillab.jp for them: https://raillab.jp/series/5870/carsets/list

But, yes, you always can run the 8-car set as 6-car if your OCD let's you do it.

Edited by disturbman
link added

Thanks for ruining my day, folks! I was hoping to be blissfully unaware of any problem with running the 8-car set as the 6-car version, haha. Jokes aside, hopefully I can just get a third-party transfer sheet from somewhere and that would solve it if I did want to do this. I don't think I'd want to hunt down the 6-car set at this point since I've already pre-ordered the 8-car one.

Just take the two middle cars out. They are still the 7 and 8 cars. Worrying about the 80151 vs 80101 in the running numbers would be super rivet counting.

Edited by katoftw

@arkhas @katoftwit's only a problem if you have OCDs about this sort of things; I know a lot of us do. If I were you, I would just number the set as a 8-car formation and don't care about the numbers when running it as a 6-car train.

I'm sure you can find an original Tomix transfer sheet on YJA if you look long enough.