The JR Otaku Line is Under Way!

ATShinkansen

ATShinkansen

Hello,

It’s been a while since I’ve been here, but I’ve been busy the past month or so, and wanted to share my progress so far.  I really didn’t develop a track plan beforehand, I’m just seeing what I can fit in.  The benchwork is freestanding, so as not to put holes in the walls.  The layout segments lift off of the frame, so they are easy to move.

At this end is a fishing port with siding off of the branch line.  This end is supposed to have a more rural or small village feel, though I don’t know if it will actually end up looking like that.  It may be more suburban.

861B2849-0FC0-4532-9813-A59DB0922B97.thumb.jpeg.b895b716ae03ece2177bd92462ccf329.jpeg

Here is where the main station is, more typical urban scenery is planned.  In front of the station is going to be the freight yard and industrial switching area.

82C7D5F8-FFD1-42D2-AB70-A2B738A70815.thumb.jpeg.f88df5c565e3dd7b7a216fc828a055c1.jpeg

And this side will have the locomotive and MU facilities.  Note the mobile suit hangar in the background, which will get its own siding.  More urban scenery.

0200793B-FC6B-4EE6-B827-6F3AE8BE3488.thumb.jpeg.6c0750ebeeef778c7458928eebd9e504.jpeg

Edited by ATShinkansen
  • Like 9
ATShinkansen

Thanks!  I could use assistance for several things as it progresses, but the big one I’m asking people for is additional suggestions for anime and video game references to include.  I have a list already, but I’m open to suggestions.  This is what I’ve brainstormed so far:

Super Mario Bros

Legend of Zelda (Hyrule Castle)

Sonic the Hedgehog (Green Hill Zone Speedway)

Donkey Kong

Star Fox

Animal Crossing (Nook Inc)

Portal (Aperture Science)

F-Zero

Monster Hunter (Astera Steakhouse)

Final Fantasy

Godzilla (Himself, Monarch [MonsterVerse], Otaki Factory [Singular Point])

Star Wars (ships, Corellian Engineering Corp., Mos Eisley Cantina)

Pacific Rim (Pan Pacific Defense Corp)

Jurassic Park (InGen)

Pokémon (Silph Co, Stadium)

Mobile Suit Gundam (Anaheim Electronics, mobile suits)

Samurai Jack (Himself)

Ultraman (Science Special Search-Party)

Galaxy Express 999 (GE999)

Toonami (Broadcasting service)

Belle (U)

Hatsune Miku (concert advertisement)

I don’t think I’ll be able to place everything directly, but subtle thing such as signage and advertising can suggest their existence in this world.

Edited by GCRailways
ATShinkansen

I definitely think I at least need to get the Totoro house.  Thought I think I need to better utilize the module space first, I’ll post on that later.

I didn’t realize there were correctly scaled Shinkalion models out there!  (There’s another series I need to add to my “to watch” list!)

the Shinkalion models look to be about 1/185 scale. 13.5cm tall and fan sites say should be 25m tall in prototype. That also looks right judging from the height of the car on the chest should be if it were n scale, looks a tad short for n scale. But close enough for fun as so much the battle stuff seems to be in the other dimension and not directly around stuff. I may have to get one…

cheers

jeff

ATShinkansen

I’m more focused on hangar scenes than battle scenes, so the Shinkalion models might be a bit small, especially if they’re going to be in close proximity to the same trains they’re based on.

ATShinkansen

I did manage to find a Rathalos at my local convention yesterday.  It’ll now make its home on the layout, much to the chagrin of its current inhabitants!

9CBA9874-0633-4270-82FA-03720A93B88C.thumb.jpeg.c24a16cef0ffeeae8d393100a26588b5.jpeg

I’m also redoing the track plan to simplify it. I took the branch line out, as it was a poor use of the space, and rearranged the fishing port so I can still get a siding to it (that fishing port was the reason the branch line was there in the first place).  It also means more track available for the main line.

93132DF1-EE8F-403B-A22B-4BAD42067C84.thumb.jpeg.cde3169a3734ee9c10d44507a83c8dee.jpeg551B200A-78B9-47ED-8743-D95EA7CC54F6.thumb.jpeg.228828d7d287e789013888842de8a39d.jpeg

• Like 6
On 8/10/2022 at 7:59 PM, GCRailways said:

Thanks!  I could use assistance for several things as it progresses, but the big one I’m asking people for is additional suggestions for anime and video game references to include.  I have a list already, but I’m open to suggestions.  This is what I’ve brainstormed so far:

Legend of Zelda (Hyrule Castle)

I was thinking for my layout, having link from BotW windbombing off a building/skyscraper. 
https://www.ign.com/wikis/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/How_to_Bomb_Impact_Launch

Since this is a trick usually performed off of Sheikah towers and other tall buildings/land features, I figure it would be cool to put him doing the trick in a downtown area. Of course this would require painting a tiny figure and using some probably fiddly clear plastic, but personally I think the effect would be worth it.

Edited by Brennan91

For other additions:

Girls und Panzer wrapping trains, buses, and 12' containers for kokis are out there.  And wrapping stuff for many other franchises too.

1/144 Dougram mecha, recent re-release of the early '80s models are out there. 
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10787454

Out of stock at the big retailers, but available at good prices on Yahoo Auction Japan. 
https://buyee.jp/item/search/query/太陽の牙ダグラム 1%2F144?sort=cbids&order=a&translationType=1&page=1

Hunting for any sort of Otakua stuff, you will do much much better on YAJ than EBay.  I use Buyee for saved searches with email notifications and purchases of only 1 or a few items, and ZenMarket for purchases of bunches of items..  Thread on using proxy services for YAJ:
https://jnsforum.com/community/topic/801-how-to-bid-in-japanese-auctions-for-dummies/page/4/

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Brennan91 said:

I was thinking for my layout, having link from BotW windbombing off a building/skyscraper. 
https://www.ign.com/wikis/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/How_to_Bomb_Impact_Launch

Since this is a trick usually performed off of Sheikah towers and other tall buildings/land features, I figure it would be cool to put him doing the trick in a downtown area. Of course this would require painting a tiny figure and using some probably fiddly clear plastic, but personally I think the effect would be worth it.

I did find a paper craft file for Hyrule Castle from Ocarina of Time for N64.  I think it’s actually for an Amiibo figure, but it looks correctly sized.  I’d just need to figure out what to do about the big hole in the base (perhaps a fountain?).  Unfortunately, I may not have room for it.  I was originally thinking about having a more rural area that featured the more fantasy-oriented franchises.  I envisioned Hyrule almost as a state park, with hiking, fishing, camping, and, of course, LARPing.  The castle would be sort of the main entrance.

Nook, Inc. from Animal Crossing has set up shop inside the main station to serve passengers, and Silph Co. from Pokémon now has a store in the area.

F4621CF0-13A9-4CF5-B7F9-0CC809E096DE.thumb.jpeg.b5b5cdfa1117b6cff93c737879348f28.jpeg

61AA1E84-4110-46CB-8D01-2A007777460B.thumb.jpeg.b664d05fbac927d27992bd8075937fc7.jpeg

Also, I have officially named the railroad the JR Otaku Line!

I’ve also slowly been acquiring track to complete the loop around what will be the MU yard.  I’m using the Tomix yard set as my basis (five additional expansions will be necessary), plus I’ll add four Kato tracks, for a total of nine yard tracks, eight storage (two five or six car trains per track) and one wash track.  Both the MU yard and the locomotive/coach yard will require switchbacks to access the station platforms.  I also need to elevate the Gundam hangar so the main line can pass underneath it.  

C45BA322-AE9F-4283-9BCF-42F44C7A3A74.thumb.jpeg.9fd281b6a70b54fdb8971783d7843f76.jpeg

My goal is to be able to run trains before the end of the year.

• Like 9

That is an impressive looking yard! 

Off topic, really like that special edition RX-78 in 7-11 livery, holding that 7-11 logo as a weapon!

Actually, in the backstory I came up with, this RX-78-2 is decommissioned, was bought by the convenience store company, and is now basically an overglorified billboard.  I intentionally got the 7-Eleven to go with it.

The world building element of the layout is especially fun to see how the different series and franchises can coexist and complement each other.  It’s very much in the same vein as “Ready Player One”, but with an effort to stay more with the Japanese fandoms.  More references will come as structures are completed and I see what’s available as far as space and materials.

As for the yard, I’m surprised myself as to how much track can be packed in to what is essentially a T-trak U-turn.  I just need to be extra considerate of future train purchases, because I designed it to hold everything I have with little to no room for extra parking space!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ATShinkansen changed the title to The JR Otaku Line is Under Way!

It’s been a while, but I finally have the MU yard 90% complete!  Half is the Tomix yard set plus extensions, the other half is Kato.  CEED3883-6102-454C-A33B-87E0BB83D909.thumb.jpeg.bb089fd4f5d9b534c0f6b4913a127010.jpeg

99DE2843-3238-425C-A84F-E3ECEFC888F5.thumb.jpeg.3c19cca35a7be8ecf9dcd6fdbb7e0155.jpeg

There are plenty of leftover parts from the Tomix yard sets to use on the Kato half.  The number boards for the catenary gantries even fit the Kato poles (I’ll post a pic in a moment).  The turnouts still need to be wired, but speaking of turnouts, you may notice only half the yard is populated with trains.  The reason is…

F50C2B97-3A0F-429F-AA90-492833BFC6E7.jpeg.e62f3c42e22ca31c93c4b394cd6bc6f7.jpeg

… the last turnout that came with the base set faces the wrong direction!  A new one is on order, it’ll be a while before it arrives.  In the meantime, holes are drilled to drop wires, and the track is finally wired and able to run trains!  Once the MU yard trackwork is done, I’ll move on to the freight yard.

• Like 8