Jump to content

Creating a Small Range of Etches


Kamome442

Recommended Posts

What did you burnish then with? Just a steel brushing ball end tool? Or wood or leather tool? Looks like there is some black gunk on there now.

 

looks great, very road used now.

 

jeff

Link to comment
Kamome442

Ah sorry Jeff, I used the wrong terminology there! What I used was a blackening compound, it just has metal burnishing fluid written on the side of the bottle 🤪

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Ah ok that makes more sense! Usually a burnisher makes metal shinier, was wondering how you made it to the other way!

 

jeff

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Kamome442

A quick update on some of the bits I have been working on, the 'Hamamatsuchō' cover is a work in progress. There is a lot of fine detail on this one that won't work but I will try to get a few more details into the firefighters.

964593315_Screenshot2022-08-18at14_30_37.png.8c8cd79f5754be8882c2ff9583985094.png

 

It turns out the animal barriers were already pretty much within tolerance. The only detail that need reducing was the frogs hands other than that they were ready to etch.

1638063867_Screenshot2022-08-18at13_45_17.thumb.png.60ebd478d3f1bd327cb61b3fa07ce437.png

 

I must confess I was quite excited about making these barriers up. So much so I ordered some 3 weeks ago, they should be here next week. I was going to put them all on one etch but if you only wanted one style you would only use a fifth of the etch. I have made them up on separate little etches. There are 32 on each etch enough to make 16 barriers.

1918054078_Screenshot2022-08-17at20_03_32.thumb.png.0f374b1001a93c7e430e56d5cd8e5a54.png

 

I will add one row of each design on the next full size etch so if you just want one or two of each it is better to hold on.

Joe

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Joe,

 

just when I think I’ve got plenty of detail bits you come along! You are like a drug pusher coming along with new designer drugs… at lease these are a lot less expensive than other train things, cost little to ship and can be hidden away in a very small precious box.

 

cheers,

 

jeff

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Kamome442

Oh boy, Jeff I feel bad suggesting another idea now, if it helps I could sell these in baggies 😬

 

Lanterns

 

There are bunch of restaurants in and around Yūrakuchō, all of which are liberally splattered with lanterns of all different shapes and sizes. It turns out finding the dimensions was pretty simple and they are relatively easy to draw up. I can then 3D print them and seal an LED in the top.

1561050392_Screenshot2022-08-17at13_13_40.thumb.png.42b47af6775ea2ebe7fa40574785d5b5.png

 

I am happy to offer these for sale if there is interest as from the very quick search I did on line there does not seem to be many readily available. Here is an example of the some the versions I have already drawn up.

1115495587_Screenshot2022-08-17at13_11_07.thumb.png.2a1caeb2871d02712397daaa961c91ab.png

 

There is a slight difference in size and shape between vinyl and washi versions. These are the vinyl type but I could easily make up the both types. I can easily print and send out the  lanterns for the customer to add their own LEDs. They use very little resin so I could do them in bulk (see below). It does mean more work for you but would be the best value.

1553238156_Screenshot2022-08-17at13_14_21.thumb.png.2b94851f6a00cf29fbe19cea5b3a4ffe.png

 

The other alternative would be I send out a finished lantern with fitted LED's, this would bump the price up, as I would need to cover the costs of LED's. 

Additionally the smaller lanterns would actually work out to be more expensive as they use the tiny 0201 LEDs that are more expensive than the 0402's (seen below, top using 0201, bottom using 0402).

1608379368_Screenshot2022-08-17at13_12_40.thumb.png.2b0d5179c5b09f534684d2a7415b3496.png

 

I am happy to consider offering both, pre-made and kit form for the best of both worlds. If you would prefer a finished model I would need to spend a little time perfecting the black collars at the top and bottom of a lantern (if it's a finished product it should be just that). 

 

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Joe

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Joe,

 

these look great and would go great in little zip lock bags, sure customs would thing they are baggies of some good little pills!

 

variety is great with something like this to use in different settings. I’ve seen the wired 0201s down to about a buck each.

 

jeff

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 8/17/2022 at 1:48 PM, Kamome442 said:

The second set of etches arrived today, as before I am going to spend a day checking them over to make sure all the details came out ok. After a quick inspection they seem ok.

1292679229_Screenshot2022-08-17at17_15_14.thumb.png.36e350f49a5c3112e8f2940bed0c410b.png

 

For the road signs I was able improve the level of detail. Now the brackets on the back are two thinner lines with a gap to represent the slot they slide the clips into.

488622432_Screenshot2022-08-17at17_15_44.thumb.png.4d36e33404d64f385f28ab61e6648cc7.png

 

I want to create a printable sheet of markings to go on the front of the road signs scaled to fit them perfectly. Most of these are drawn up I just need to organise them onto a .pdf. I will try to get them up for sale at the weekend. 

Joe, these are really impressive.  Do you ship to the states?

I would very much like to buy a set.

 

Dave

Link to comment
On 8/19/2022 at 6:19 PM, Kamome442 said:

Oh boy, Jeff I feel bad suggesting another idea now, if it helps I could sell these in baggies 😬

 

Lanterns

 

There are bunch of restaurants in and around Yūrakuchō, all of which are liberally splattered with lanterns of all different shapes and sizes. It turns out finding the dimensions was pretty simple and they are relatively easy to draw up. I can then 3D print them and seal an LED in the top.

1561050392_Screenshot2022-08-17at13_13_40.thumb.png.42b47af6775ea2ebe7fa40574785d5b5.png

 

I am happy to offer these for sale if there is interest as from the very quick search I did on line there does not seem to be many readily available. Here is an example of the some the versions I have already drawn up.

1115495587_Screenshot2022-08-17at13_11_07.thumb.png.2a1caeb2871d02712397daaa961c91ab.png

 

There is a slight difference in size and shape between vinyl and washi versions. These are the vinyl type but I could easily make up the both types. I can easily print and send out the  lanterns for the customer to add their own LEDs. They use very little resin so I could do them in bulk (see below). It does mean more work for you but would be the best value.

1553238156_Screenshot2022-08-17at13_14_21.thumb.png.2b94851f6a00cf29fbe19cea5b3a4ffe.png

 

The other alternative would be I send out a finished lantern with fitted LED's, this would bump the price up, as I would need to cover the costs of LED's. 

Additionally the smaller lanterns would actually work out to be more expensive as they use the tiny 0201 LEDs that are more expensive than the 0402's (seen below, top using 0201, bottom using 0402).

1608379368_Screenshot2022-08-17at13_12_40.thumb.png.2b0d5179c5b09f534684d2a7415b3496.png

 

I am happy to consider offering both, pre-made and kit form for the best of both worlds. If you would prefer a finished model I would need to spend a little time perfecting the black collars at the top and bottom of a lantern (if it's a finished product it should be just that). 

 

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Joe

Pre-made would be ideal for me.

I am all thumbs.

 

Dave

Link to comment
Kamome442
Posted (edited)

Hi @Dave K thank you for the kind words, I do sell to the US. I should have them up for sale tomorrow.

 

For the lanterns, I can do pre made. I am thinking of using styrene rod cut into little pieces for the black end caps I will need to order some and see how it looks. I will post some test shots once I have something mocked up.

 

@cteno4 yeah the 0201's I have been using are around £1 each, 0402's are about half that price.

 

If I sold a set of 10 lanterns it would cost me around £5 using 0402's or £10 using  0201's.

Covering postage would add £2 and cost of resin, styrene, time spent painting and assembling I would want to add maybe another £1.

So I could probably make 10 of the larger lantern in the photo for £8 (about $9.50, ¥1300). The smaller one a set of 10 would be £13 (about $15.50, ¥2100), which feels a little steep. 

 

Joe

 

Edit: I should note I was using a set of 10 as an example, for a set of 20 or 25 would spread the cost of postage and lower the price per item.

Edited by Kamome442
  • Like 4
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Kamome442 said:

10 of the larger lantern in the photo for £8 (about $9.50, ¥1300). The smaller one a set of 10 would be £13 (about $15.50, ¥2100), which feels a little steep. 

No way is that steep, when I look at the prices of other items on the market and at your breakdown of the costs, I don't think it's steep at all. I think it's amazing and very kind that you are willing to put so much effort into providing these lanterns for others to buy. 

 

What you're doing rocks 👍 I just wish you had made them a year or so ago as I've been spening hours and hours hollowing out and rounding over short lengths of styrine rod to make the lanterns on my layout. You can imagine how much fun that was 🤪

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Kamome442
2 hours ago, Tom C said:

I just wish you had made them a year or so ago as I've been spening hours and hours hollowing out and rounding over short lengths of styrine rod to make the lanterns on my layout. You can imagine how much fun that was 🤪

OUCH!!! That does not sound like fun at all. It was worth the effort, the results were nothing shot of stunning, the things we do for a hobby 😆

 

2 hours ago, Tom C said:

No way is that steep, when I look at the prices of other items on the market and at your breakdown of the costs, I don't think it's steep at all.

I have a feeling the price may get a little steeper unfortunately.

I used £2 for postage as that is what it costs to send an etch.

I was looking at postage prices and if the package goes over 15mm thick it moves into the next price band that is £4.20 🤨

I don't mind sending the etches through the post without much protection as it will be the frame that bends not the etched parts on it but I am not sure want to risk sending delicate electronics through the post that way.

I will probably need to order in some postal boxes to send them in. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Kamome442

Just to let you know manhole covers are now available, a link of the original post. 

Also the animal barriers were posted today and should be with me tomorrow! 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, Kamome442 said:

Just to let you know manhole covers are now available, a link of the original post. 

Also the animal barriers were posted today and should be with me tomorrow! 

Thank you, Joe.

 

You should see my order.

 

Dave 

Link to comment
37 minutes ago, Kamome442 said:

Just to let you know manhole covers are now available, a link of the original post. 

Also the animal barriers were posted today and should be with me tomorrow! 


Will you be putting up the animal barriers soon? If so, I'll wait to place my order so I can get everything in one go. 

Link to comment

Joe,

 

Of course I ordered my crack for the week from your Etsy…

 

jeff

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Kamome442

Hi @Dave K I got your order thank you. I will get it in the post this evening.

 

@arkh I am not working tomorrow so I will be able to put them up tomorrow. 

 

Hahaha Thanks @cteno4 soon I will be able get those spinning rims from my rolling stock🤔

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Kamome442 said:

Hi @Dave K I got your order thank you. I will get it in the post this evening.

 

@arkh I am not working tomorrow so I will be able to put them up tomorrow. 

 

Hahaha Thanks @cteno4 soon I will be able get those spinning rims from my rolling stock🤔

 

Joe,

 

I will order the barriers tomorrow, so you can ship it with today's order.  

 

 

Dave

Edited by Dave K
Link to comment
Kamome442
Just now, Dave K said:

Joe,

 

I will order the barriers tomorrow, so you can wait and combine shipping it with today's order.

 

 

Dave

No problem, thanks for the heads up. Joe

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Kamome442 said:

I will order the barriers tomorrow, so you can wait and combine shipping it with today's order.

Same here

 

9 minutes ago, Kamome442 said:

soon I will be able get those spinning rims from my rolling stock

We expect to see you decked out in appropriate etched metal bling with all these orders Joe! 1/150 etched gold metal chains for around your neck. 😜

 

It’s pretty funny you now have a business making just about the tiniest parts out there! When are you going to do the vehicle side view mirrors and license plates?

 

jeff

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Kamome442
6 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

It’s pretty funny you now have a business making just about the tiniest parts out there! When are you going to do the vehicle side view mirrors and license plates?

 

Side view mirrors and license plates! 🤔

I hadn't considered that one, side view mirrors for buses would actually be quite interesting, if it hasn't already been done.

 

I do want to have a go at making a go-kart with etched suspension, 3D printed wheels and body. I just need some volunteers willing to put on some themed onesies. 

Link to comment

Someone (I think in Germany) sells some truck and maybe car side view mirrors. I think it was @lighthouse maybe that’s used them? I went looking for them a couple of years back and they were pretty pricy to ship to the us. They may have also done train windshield wipers. Yes bus and truck side views would be great!

 

let’s see a license place would be about 1mm X 2mm, and we would expect full license plate info on it of course! 😜


maybe license plate frames? Have to be careful what we say around you…

 

jeff

Link to comment
Kamome442

Wipers, WOAH now that is fiddly 

 

1mm X 2mm you say...

490767653_Screenshot2022-08-22at20_34_05.png.740b8c24a018f6e7f718a0b51b87f47b.png

 

The numbers might just show up as a half etch but sadly you will have to hand paint the prefecture and number, I could sell them with a single hair paint brush.

Link to comment
40 minutes ago, Kamome442 said:

I could sell them with a single hair paint brush.

You mean single split hair paint brush!

 

jeff

  • Like 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Kamome442 said:

Just to let you know manhole covers are now available, a link of the original post. 

Also the animal barriers were posted today and should be with me tomorrow! 

Hi Kamome442,

I tried to order a sheet of your wonderful manhole covers but got the message "this item does not deliver Australia".  How can I get hold of them?

Graeme

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...