Hamamachi Station Mk2

Grant_T

As detailed in my other thread, Hamamachi Station is no more. So onto the next version of the layout. I had several criteria for this layout:

1. It needed to be more portable than the first version.

2. It would use Kato Unitrack and be a simple loop track plan.

3. It could be completed in four months so it could be shown at the NZ model rail convention in October.

These criteria set some pretty tight constraints. The layout would have to be simple, but avoid looking toy-like, as Unitrack layouts tend to do. The obvious solutions to disguising a simple loop are view blocks, discrete scenes, tunnels, and a varied topography.

I took leave from work for the last week, and part of that was spent in a very cold garage putting together the basic benchwork for this small layout. My progress:

I'm almost done with the carpentry, so should be able to move inside soon for the rest of the build. This needs to be finished by the second week of October. Can I do it?

• Like 17
10 hours ago, katoftw said:

Why the seven sides over regular 4?

Mostly aesthetics as I wanted to avoid the train on a board look. The shape also conforms to the scenery. I was going to build it with curved sides but didn't have enough of the thin ply needed for that.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

My shopping arrived and I also moved the layout inside.

This is usually my music room, so it's a bit cramped:

• Like 8

Hmmmm. One of the switches seems defective. I could give the rail a tap but I suspect it would break the plastic.

It looks like the out rail has shifted along the sleepers. You should be able to push it back into place by first, removing the Unijoiner with the blue tool you get in your V sets (the one that's not a re-railer) and using something flat like a metal rule, perpendicular to the rail end to push it back into place. 

• Like 2

Just use a pair of needle nose pliers to try and push it back. I’ve adjusted rails in unitrak pieces that have been out of alignment like this. The rail slides pretty easily through the plastic hold downs. I’ve made many custom length Unitrak pieces by cutting out a section of roadbed in the middle of a piece of track and sliding one end piece of roadbed back against the other end and nipping off the extending rails flush.

jeff

• Like 1

Moving on with some progress from the station side. Sorry the pictures are a bit dark but I tend to take a picture when I am finished for the evening.

More to come!

• Like 13

Some more progress. I have the basic skeleton built. This will be covered with thin card strips and then plaster cloth. But first I need to lay, fix, and troubleshoot the track. That shouldn't take too long so I hope to get back to the scenery this weekend.

• Like 13
1 hour ago, Grant_T said:

Testing. Track is now glued down and ready for scenery.

Looking forward to seeing this in October Grant.

• Like 2

Jumping ahead a bit. The plaster shell is on and I've been spending this week carving rocks. This gives a much better impression of where I'm headed (and how patient my wife is to let me do this in the living area).

Next up, finishing the carving on the other side, carving the shoreline rocks, and then colouring the rocks. Exciting!

• Like 12
3 hours ago, Grant_T said:

Jumping ahead a bit. The plaster shell is on and I've been spending this week carving rocks. This gives a much better impression of where I'm headed (and how patient my wife is to let me do this in the living area).

Next up, finishing the carving on the other side, carving the shoreline rocks, and then colouring the rocks. Exciting!

good weather for drying plaster? NOT! Rain and more rain. looking good

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Grant_T said:

Very smart looking Grant. Food for thought if I ever build an N-scale layout. May I ask what you are using for the tabletop and the fascia boards? I have an H0 module at home that I need to find the motivation to overhaul. It's supposed to be ready for the Christchurch show in October but I'm not sure if it will be.

Alastair

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts

Some people build whole layouts in the time it takes me the build the frame of a single locomotive 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Nice work grant! You are a very brave person. I would have my neck slit ear to ear if I attempted plastering on the dining room table! 

jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 7/28/2022 at 12:38 AM, ED75-775 said:

May I ask what you are using for the tabletop and the fascia boards?

Hi Alastair, it's just thin mdf (5-6mm?) glued and screwed onto the timber framing. It will get a coat of paint soon.

• Thanks 1

Lots more plaster. I spent today on the bridge. Still needs a little more work. Looking forward to getting some colour on it, but I will try to finish all the plastering before then.

• Like 12

Final bit of plastering being done today. I'm about to put the tunnel portals in and some more rocks on the shore line.

• Like 12

More painting. I'm about to weather the bridge and  the fix it to the layout. I've also decided to completely finish this side of the layout first and then move to the station scene.

• Like 9