Blue Train Locomotive Help

Folks

I recently recently purchased a Katsumi JNR Blue Train Sleeper 20kei set in HO scale. I would like to know what current HO scale Tomix or Kato locomotives would be correct for pulling this 5 cars consist. Help with this would be most appreciated.

Regards

Jere Ingram

s-l500.jpg

If you want to be prototypical, the exact engine choice would be dictated by the service this coaches represent. Do you know which train these coaches are representing?

Otherwise, any mainline passenger locomotives: EF81, EF65, ED76, etc. You can find pictures of all of them.

You can google it by copy-pasting "20系" and then add the name of any locomotives you are interested in.

Edited by disturbman

For earlier services, Kato EF65-500 would be ideal but would have to find a used one as not been released for a while. Hope Kato are listening. Kato EF65-1000 is also an option. They produce an early model with larger pantographs which would be more prototypical, the later model probably more commonly seen with 14 and 24 series coaching stock. Recent releases, Kato EF58. 

Tomix don’t have many appropriate locomotives. ED78+EF71 for Akebono service during part of its journey or ED75. 

Alternatives

For Izumo service, Zoukei Mura DD54 6th version. 

Tramway or Tenshodo C59 or C62 pulled some services like the Mizuho and Asakaze between Hiroshima and Shimonoseki in the early days.

• Like 2
On 6/12/2022 at 1:07 PM, disturbman said:

If you want to be prototypical, the exact engine choice would be dictated by the service this coaches represent. Do you know which train these coaches are representing?

Otherwise, any mainline passenger locomotives: EF81, EF65, ED76, etc. You can find pictures of all of them.

You can google it by copy-pasting "20系" and then add the name of any locomotives you are interested in.

No I do not know. 

These appear to be early 20 series coaches, judging from the pantographs remaining on the generator car.  One such train was the Sakura which ran between Tokyo and Sasebo/Nagasaki.  Prototypical locomotives for said train include C11, C59, C62, EF30, EF65, EF58, EF66, ED73, and DD51s.   

For a 5 car consist a DD51 or a C11 would work well for the Sasebo section of the Sakura Limited Express, which split off from the main train to run the final few kilometers into Sasebo.  This was the last steam hauled blue train in Japan when it switched from steam (C11 class locomotive) to diesel power (DD51 class locomotives) in 1968.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, upwpfan said:

No I do not know.

It’s written on the front of the head car and if the generator car. You can either take and post a picture here, or use a translator app (like Google Translate) to translate the text directly on the car using the camera function.

Yes the Kani 22 with pantographs was used on the Sakura service as well as the Mizuho and Hayabusa services.  I’m going off of the information from my Kato N scale set so it may very well have been used on other services too. 

If you wanted to be very particular about the train, the Sasebo section had a Maya 20 added to the end for power when it was pulled by the DD51 or C11.

A EF60 500 would be an ideal locomotive of EF65-500 in express colour.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, katoftw said:

690238023_Screenshot_20220614-185044_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.8ca76ac36aac504aaf3216454ea42e56.jpg

The Nahafu 20 could have a Fuji plate installed, but I think the Kani has a different service plate installed.

Folks

I appreciate the info from everyone on this. As it turns out I was able to find and order an EF 65 1000 to pull this consist. I think I may have the steam engines listed as well. 

In the meantime, however, I succeeded in breaking one truck (Yikes.....!)

Can anybody suggest a replacement and a source? I tried KTM's online shop and found a suitable replacement, I am not sure my message went through to them.  Did not see anything on Hobby Search either. Help would be most appreciated.

Regards

Jere Ingram

Parts could probably be bought through KTM direct. It’s a relatively small company so you may need to wait for a response. Models Imon do stock a lot of HO parts but may need to order from KTM. 

Other members have had parts from Imon ordered through RG Rokko so they may very well be able to acquire KTM parts too. 

Kamome

Thanks for the information. I did not see where I could email Imon on there web page.  I sent an e mail to RG Rokko. 

Jere Ingram

Yes, it maybe difficult to get parts for older products. Their website stated that they can not support with “Junk”products relating to used as I’m sure there is plenty of older brass product around. 

This is translated from the contact page at KTM-models.com

<Notes> 
From this inquiry forum, we cannot accept product repair requests or consultations on old products that are not listed on the online shop.
For inquiries about the above and product reservations, please contact each store directly managed by Katsumi.
In addition, we do not support parts that are short of used and junk products. Thank you for your understanding.

★Information on Katsumi directly managed stores
■Katsumi Yurakucho store ※Closed (Tuesday) 
Click here to send an email to the Yurakucho store
■Katsumi Ikebukuro store ※Closed (Thursday) 
Click here for an email to the Ikebukuro store
■Katsumi Yokohama Store 
Click here to send an email to the Yokohama store
■Katsumi Osaka Store 
Click here to send an email to the Osaka store
================================================================================
□Katsumi Co., Ltd. (Head Office)
3-10-5 Shimomeguro, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-0064, Japan
TEL: 03-3711-7738 FAX: 03-3715-5013

●Inquiry by e-mail

shopmaster@ktm-models.oa.shopserve.jp

Failing KTM, would plastic Kato or Tramway bogies work. Not an ideal solution but may at least allow you to run the train.

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 1

Folks

I have contacted both RG-Rokko and Models Imon and gotten no reply from them. I am getting pretty discouraged at this point. I know what the KTM part number (current from there on-line catalogue is) Anybody got any ideas???? Any help would be most appreciated.

Jere Ingram

Models imon may not do overseas contacts. May check your spam folder on rg rokko, i had one time with them my last line spam filter was snagging them. I have a vague memory of one of my emails to rg rokko not going thru to them. They are usually very good at responding to inquiries.

jeff 

I second Jeff's suggestion. RGR emails often end up in the spam folder, at the beginning at least. Out of curiosity, when did you contact them? To remember RGR is usually closed on Mondays and Tuesdays and answers can take time. I do expect Tokonami-san to get back to you, he is generally very diligent.

Last options would be to contact Model Train Plus, though I found them hard to reach since the pandemic started.

I second what cteno4 and disturbman said. RG-Rokko e-mails easily end up at the spam/litter folder, so you better check those and greenlit his e-mail addresses on your e-mail account.

10 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Models imon may not do overseas contacts.

The other issue is shops like Imon may not have English speakers, or at least none that feel confident in their English to respond to emails. Imon possibly don’t ship or order from manufacturers for overseas customers either as their core business is Japanese customers. They generally sell what they have physically in stock in their stores other than preorders.  

RG-Rokko on the other hand have a designated website for overseas customers so more inclined to assist. 

Tenshodo have their own email for overseas inquiries, even if you live in Japan but not sure if they ship internationally. Their website sells only Tenshodo products whereas their physical shops, at least the one in Ginza, sell other brand products too. 

• Like 1

Folks

I checked the spam folder and nothing from RG-Rokko in it.  Guess I will just have to buy a ticket and visit Japan to find the part. Boy....does that make finding the parts really expensive! If any of you have a way to contact them and tell them I need help, I would really appreciate it. You can pm me for my email address.

Regards

Jere Ingram

If your second email was left unanswered, try contacting them via their Instagram account. Some people use it to communicate with them. Beware that this is O Bon, and they might not be readily available.

Yes Obon closures will last until end of day Monday for most offices etc.. Most shops will be open but that probably won’t include small family run businesses. Everyone is generally back on Tuesday 16th except schools kids. 

Modellbahn JP

Hello.

Excuse me for interrupting.

Probably, if you'd like to get, every pare parts for KTM's item in 1960s to 1990s are seen in auction site(like Yahoo auction).

So, I recommend you shall look for there better than asking to shops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1