Greenmax Multiple Tie Tamper noise

nah00

So I got this on re-release as I missed out the first time around:

1641921238_tietamper.thumb.jpg.e5b103b7c4c188017deb90c5ce42002f.jpg

And while it runs great slow, GOOD LORD is it noisy. Is there any fix to this or is it just the nature of the motor? Some other questions as well:

-What's the best way to solve the flickering light issues with it? I use Kato powerpacks without CL so that might be an issue.

-What's the best color to paint the inside to kill the light coming through the plastic? I'm still working up the courage to take it apart but I was thinking dark grey.

Hopefully the ballast regulator gets a re-release soon, PlazaJapan said they had the Totetsu one in stock but no luck.

19 minutes ago, nah00 said:

-What's the best color to paint the inside to kill the light coming through the plastic? I'm still working up the courage to take it apart but I was thinking dark grey.

Considering we want to stop light from piercing through the material and our only option is to change the surface finish, I'd say you either should try to absorb the light, or reflect it. 

For absorption, you could use a thick black with matte finish, or use a reflective metallic with glossy finish.

I'd say its best to try both with a similar thin sheet of plastic and put it on top of a similarly powerful light. Then choose the finish depending on the results. 

Edited by Giugiaro

Yes they are very noisy beasts unfortunately.

thick tee shirt paint is used a lot for light blocking by spaceship modelers who do a lot of lighting. Other option is using foil or hot dog wrappers (ones with thin foil on paper) and glue inside. This can be hard to do on the inside of a train cab, but works very well or cardstock buildings and leaves you with a white wall.

Cheers,

jeff

• Like 1