Will I need a step down adapter for a Tomix transformer?

Zeether

Been looking at the Basic Set SD series from Tomix and they seem reasonably priced, and as I live in the US the transformer's plug should be able to fit in a standard wall outlet, but I'm wondering if I need a step down adapter for it to output 100V. I do have an old Railpower but it outputs 15VDC, which would obviously not be a good fit.

The Tomix power unit transformers I have are rated 100V ~ 240V so they should work as-is (assuming it's a new-ish power unit).

100v is the input from the wall socket. Your trains will still run on 12v at track level.  Just don't leave it plugged in when you are finished running trains.

Edited by bill937ca
1 hour ago, bill937ca said:

100v is the input from the wall socket. Your trains will still run on 12v at track level.  Just don't leave it plugged in when you are finished running trains.

All six of my N-1001-CL and Power Points are plugged in 24/7 for past 5 years. Never been an issue.  The power adaptors are pretty universal (100-240v) like any other devices. But nothing wrong with exercising caution.

It’s only the older 100v wall warts that could potentially be an issue. most stuff like this is designed with 25-50% over capacity so may be fine, but in the past I read stories of insurance companies declining coverage with fires if any 100v stuff or 100/120 converters was found being used in 110/120v plugs.

Last decade most all of them have gone to 100-240v power regulators so no worries. Just check the label,

jeff