Jump to content

What DCC decoder is compatible with the Kato Yamanote Line E235 (N)


BulletTrain1805

Recommended Posts

BulletTrain1805

I am looking to buy a decoder for my E235 I have looked through multiple forums and not found a thing, does anybody know?

Link to comment
chadbag
11 hours ago, BulletTrain1805 said:

I am looking to buy a decoder for my E235 I have looked through multiple forums and not found a thing, does anybody know?

 

Who makes it and what is the model number?

 

if it is KATO, the E235 I was able to find online all use EM13 style decoders.  That is a KATO specific form factor though Zimo makes both a regular EM13 drop in and one with sound capability and ESU makes an EM13 drop in version of the loksound 5 I think it is.

 

Link to comment
katoftw
Posted (edited)

You'll also need FL12 for the cab car lights.

 

There is a newer version just released. So there is 2 types to pick from.

Edited by katoftw
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Madsing
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, BulletTrain1805 said:

Thank you, so I should buy this one?

Assuming we are talking about the Kato 10-1468, yes, this is correct.

You need one EM13 for the motor car. You also need two FL12 (one at each side of the train) for the head and tail lights.

As @katoftw just wrote, I see that the new version of the FL12 is now available. It’s the FL12N, available here https://www.plazajapan.com/4949727686646/

Optionally, if you want to install indoor car lighting also controlled by DCC, you can purchase the Kato LED Interior Lighting Kit 11-212 (works for 6 cars) plus one FR11 for each car.

 

Edited by Madsing
Added FL12N
Link to comment
BulletTrain1805

Ok and for the FL12 it looks like there are two of them in the package so should I just buy one?

Link to comment
BulletTrain1805

Oh and for the interior lighting kit one FR11 for each car? Thats quite expensive for like 8 cars are you sure thats correct?

Link to comment
BulletTrain1805

And also one more thing (I keep posting and then realize I have something else to post) if I want sound (without a soundbox) is there a way to get a sound decoder in it?

Link to comment
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BulletTrain1805 said:

Ok and for the FL12 it looks like there are two of them in the package so should I just buy one?

 

You need one decoder for each end car, so two total. The new one come on pairs so you only need one package.

 

2 hours ago, BulletTrain1805 said:

Oh and for the interior lighting kit one FR11 for each car? Thats quite expensive for like 8 cars are you sure thats correct?

 

Its absolutely correct. 8 decoders for an 8 car set just for lighting. Thats why some skip the ability to dcc control the interior lights and just have them constant on without a controler.

 

2 hours ago, BulletTrain1805 said:

And also one more thing (I keep posting and then realize I have something else to post) if I want sound (without a soundbox) is there a way to get a sound decoder in it?

 

ESU makes a motor car decoder in the Kato EM drop-in shape with loksound, but it comes blank so you need to get the soundfiles on that yourself wich might get pricey.

Edited by Wolf
Link to comment
BulletTrain1805
Posted (edited)

 

53 minutes ago, Wolf said:

ESU makes a motor car decoder in the Kato EM drop-in shape with loksound, but it comes blank so you need to get the soundfiles on that yourself wich might get pricey.

Would I be able to use a Kato Soundcard for it? Also, do you have the link to the ESU decoder?

 

EDIT: I think i found the link is this it? https://www.esu.eu/en/products/loksound/loksound-5-micro-dcc-kato/

Edited by BulletTrain1805
Link to comment
1 hour ago, BulletTrain1805 said:

Would I be able to use a Kato Soundcard for it? Also, do you have the link to the ESU decoder?

 

No, to my knowledge there is no way to extract the sounds from the soundcards, except possibly recording them playing.

 

Still leaves you with the task to put the sound on the decoder anyway, wich requires some hardware from ESU.

 

And yes, the linked decoder is the one I meant.

 

The issue is simply that in Japan DCC is not common at all, with Tomix literally ignoring it and Kato just doing the bare minimum for the Kato USA products, as far as I am aware (someone correct me here if wrong).

Link to comment
cteno4

There is the Japanese open sound project.

 

 

cheers,

 

jeff

Link to comment

No expert but seems at least all thats left is program the sound on the decoder then. I am amazed, thanks for the Link Jeff!

Link to comment
cteno4

Yeah that has a few issues and experimenting from what I’ve read but not horrid at all and yaasan seems to have the project aimed at loksound. He has been keeping updates here on the forum with new sound files. It got me thinking sideways on dcc!

 

cheers

 

jeff

Link to comment
chadbag
On 5/19/2022 at 1:10 PM, Wolf said:

 

 

The issue is simply that in Japan DCC is not common at all, with Tomix literally ignoring it and Kato just doing the bare minimum for the Kato USA products, as far as I am aware (someone correct me here if wrong).

 

KATO does  a lot for DCC compatibility with their Japan products.   While some re-runs don't have it, most newer models will take an EM13.  In fact, for their USA models, you have to use a light board replacement decoder in most cases, not something as standardized as the EM13 (which to my understanding does have some limited use in USA as well).

 

While DCC is a minor thing in Japan, you see a lot of use of it by the more serious modelers based on watching twitter and Instagram feeds out of Japan and the fact that I can get the KATO decoders at most hobby shops in Japan that stock KATO (if they aren't out due to the cyclical nature of production).

Link to comment
1 hour ago, chadbag said:

 

KATO does  a lot for DCC compatibility with their Japan products.   While some re-runs don't have it, most newer models will take an EM13.  In fact, for their USA models, you have to use a light board replacement decoder in most cases, not something as standardized as the EM13 (which to my understanding does have some limited use in USA as well).

 

While DCC is a minor thing in Japan, you see a lot of use of it by the more serious modelers based on watching twitter and Instagram feeds out of Japan and the fact that I can get the KATO decoders at most hobby shops in Japan that stock KATO (if they aren't out due to the cyclical nature of production).

 

Thanks for the deeper explanation!

 

Although its sad that the EM is mostly a EMU/Shinkansen thing, Locos mostly need light boards as well.

Link to comment
chadbag
22 hours ago, Wolf said:

 

Thanks for the deeper explanation!

 

Although its sad that the EM is mostly a EMU/Shinkansen thing, Locos mostly need light boards as well.

 

 

Yes.  Digitrax and TCS both make DCC decoders that are (mostly) drop-in for KATO lightboards on locos.  Occasionally you have to trim LED or whatever to make them fit your sepcific loco.  I use TCS in mine since they are RailCom compatible.

Link to comment

@BulletTrain1805 here you can see a decoder ESU LokSound 5 micro DCC Kato (EM13 version from ESU with sound) installed in that loco. I took the sound project from DesktopStation, they post all new sound projects in this thread: https://jnsforum.com/community/topic/16216-open-sound-data/

 

I just edited the sound project to add some more announcements for different stations of the Yamanote line:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUGef8cQ0r0&t=1s

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...